PDA

View Full Version : ATPL distance learning

MARCdeHuk
16th Jun 2010, 19:14
Hi Guys,

Im undertaking flight training at the moment with the goal of obtaining an ATPL.

Having spent months researching on various routes I have now formulated a training plan and realistic targets.....my only concern now is on how to go about the theory side of things.

Im interested to know of anyone who has completed a distance learning course with someone such as Bristol GS.....

My main problem is that with the industry in the position its in and trying to remain on a tight budget I want to stay in employment as long as possible. I work 39 hours (5 days) a week in the retail wine trade. Is it possible to work through the sylabus (and to a decent level), or do i need to come out of employment (even if for a short period) to devote time soley to the 14 modules. Any advice, feedback, suggestions would be very welcomed.

Whirlygig
16th Jun 2010, 19:28
Lots of people (myself included) managed to complete the studying alongside a full-time job - it's hard work and requires discipline.

However, due to constraints with annual leave from my job, I did not go to Bristol since they split the exams into two modules each requiring two weeks (not including the exams). If time off work may be an issue, look at a distance learning provider who spilts the course into three modules.

Cheers

Whirls

UAV689
16th Jun 2010, 19:38
I recently completed my atpl whilst working 7 days a week, 8-6 in a retail head office mon-fri (pretty stressful) and then doing a 12 hr shift on sat and sun in a warehouse. I managed a 94% pass mark and I am no brainiac.

It is hard, it was life consuming for 18 months, didn't go out, studied every night till 10 ish, working til 12 in run up to exams, felt like a zombie at times, but boy did it feel good when I finished them all.

Good luck

INNflight
16th Jun 2010, 19:58
DL will eat your heart out, even if you only work part-time, so be prepared to really invest into studies. You'll have cut short on doing things with friends / family. You'll not go be able to watch this or that on TV in the evenings, but study. You'll not have much of a life to be honest :ouch:

What really worked for me is to consider it as something such as studying med at university. I went to the library at our university every day for a few hours, to have people around me who have to study as well, often even at 11pm. Helped me to see I'm not on my own, as I felt that just sitting home alone reading crap (excuse that please) about fire extinguishers in the cabin, etc. can kinda get you down. :E

Make the most of it, and treat yourself with something nice from time to time. Get at least ONE day a week where you don't touch the books. Really important imho.

If you already hold a PPL, go out flying from time to time to remember what you invest all that time for.

And in the end, what kept me going was a friend who was in a flying job already, who told me that all the theory has not toooooo much to do in the everyday cockpit environment, so don't loose it while studying ;)

davelongdon
16th Jun 2010, 22:42
Cant fault BGS....im just a Wolverhampton simpleton.....I got 91% average on my first 8 ATPL's first time in April and I am going back for module 2 next week :)....it all pays off in the end but share it hand in hand with a spot of flying.

G SXTY
17th Jun 2010, 08:47
As has been suggested, it's perfectly do-able, but be prepared to put the rest of your life on hold for a year or so.

I did distance learning with BGS while working full time in London. Did some reading on the train to and from work, then worked for about three hours each evening, Monday to Thursday. Friday night was beer night (to preserve my sanity) and Saturday was a day off to do all the fun things like shopping and housework. Sundays were spent with my head in the books.

By sticking rigidly to that schedule, I managed to complete everything first time in around 13 months. But like I said, forget having a life – my entire year's annual leave was used up on classroom brush-up courses and the exams. It's demanding and requires a fair degree of self-discipline, and some of the stuff will drive you to tears (gyros was my favourite) but with enough effort you will get there in the end.

I can't recommend BGS highly enough by the way.

kwb911
17th Jun 2010, 17:27
I have recently finished the last module with BGS and got an average of 98% over the 14 exams with distance learning so it can definitely be done. I spent 17 months on the two modules whilst having a full time job and trying to fly twice a week when possible.

Study is quite hard and I worked almost every night and at weekends. I had to split the modules over two years due to the two week brush up and one week exam per module using almost all my holiday entitlement each year.

Looking back I probably put too much work in but I wanted to do well and learn the subjects; however, I did do better than I expected.

The BGS course is very good and if you put the work in you will pass.

gg190
17th Jun 2010, 21:02
I can only reiterate what has already been said about BGS, they are very good. I'm half way through the course with a 92% average on the first 8 exams. Going back in October for the second set.

I can't fault anything in the way BGS work. The distance learning program is excellent and their instructors are excellent, their admin team is brilliant too.

Having the two week brush up course in cheddar is also quite helpful, because it's a very quiet little place (particularly in winter) it's pretty free of distraction!

XXPLOD
17th Jun 2010, 22:32
It's doable as posters have said. I'm doing my ATPLs with CATS (pm me for more info on them if you wish) and working full time, albeit shiftwork.
It's a lot of work and everyone has aptitudes in different areas.
BGS are IMHO the industry leaders, but are quite expensive. You get what you pay for.
Other providers include; London Met Uni, Cabair, Oxford, Ground Training Services. Each may divide modules differently - pick the one which suits.

Poose
18th Jun 2010, 10:11
Bristol Groundschool is excellent.

Stay in work all the way through, is my advice. It is hard. So be prepared to have no life, no girlfriend, no social life etc. I frequently take my manuals to the local Starbucks or Coffee Shop. It helped me! Keep current on the flying, too. Helps maintain focus.

I've been working fulltime for the last three years. An hour or so in the evenings during the week. Half an hour during my work lunch breaks and about two hours on a Saturday and Sunday. Picking up the pace in the two months before brush up with an hour or two on the 'company time' doing the Question Bank and an extra hour or so at the weekend.

One piece of advice is to break General Navigation & Meteorology off from the first batch of exams and do them a month or so later. Most people find these the tricky ones. It's worked for me. 85% average so far. Going to do the same for Module 2 and break off the two most complicated ones.

P.S You'll have to use all of your annual leave more than likely. :sad:

MARCdeHuk
21st Jun 2010, 17:27
Thanks for the post guys thats really given me some food for thought.....just a couple of other things.....

Its been a good 10 years sine i did my a levels and was just wondering about brushing up on maths and physics and if there are any particular areas to home in on for either subject.

I think from what ive read Bristol are well worth the money so im hoping to use them :D

Whirlygig
21st Jun 2010, 18:38
sine i did my a levelsAgreed - brush up on your trigonometry. :}

Cheers

Whirls

ChaosChris
23rd Jun 2010, 08:52
Just been reading this thread and taken some good information from it!

I am currently looking at starting my ATPL's soon and was a little worried around the full time job aspect! I have a full time 35 hour week job, but it seems like many people have completed the course with no problems in the same situation as me.

Just have a question surrounding the signing up to the ATPL's... Would it be an idea to get a Class 1 Medical before signing up?

(This is my first post so sorry if this is posted in the wrong area or already been answered, but couldn't find an answer on the site)

flying_shortly
23rd Jun 2010, 12:27
Hi there,

I am starting to study ATPL's at the mo. I have manuals going back to 2004. Can I confirm that they are still valid and suitable for the exams?

Thank you!

paco
24th Jun 2010, 04:45
Chaos Chris - it would be prudent to get a Class 1 medical as you don't want to pay for anything then find it's all invalid.

flying_shortly - those manuals, aside from being probably well out of date (depends where they came from) are likely useless because you still need a signature from an approved school to take the exams, unless you are exempt from formal study. Even then, you would be very unwise to do the exams without some classroom stuff. By all means use them as a backup because sometimes a different set of notes makes something click a little better.

Phil

mad_jock
24th Jun 2010, 08:19
I did mine years ago while working full time as an IT contractor.

I did mine with OAT.

I would agree 110% with paco about the class room based learning it doesn't so much teach you the thoery it focuses on the way these buggers think who set the questions and also the gotcha subjects within each topic.

I can't really comment on subjects because the hard ones seem to change on a cycle depending what they have put new in the question banks.

You just have to form a study plan and realise the fact that 6-9 months of your life is going to be lost to study. Yes have some time off and set yourself cool down periods eg bit of hour building here and there to remind yourself why you are doing it.

The content really isn't that hard its about the same level as age 16 exams in school. Its just the volume of the stuff which causes the issues

Neon Circuits
24th Jun 2010, 08:22
Worked full time, did both mods, all my leave from work and all exams in three months... 91%

paulyp
24th Jun 2010, 10:08
I have just completed my last module with London Met, with an overall 94% within 16 months. I work 37hrs a week, and found that I needed to get in at least 2hrs a night during the week, and catch up over the weekend.

The hardest part of the DL route is getting into a realistic study routine. It took me a coupe of months to adapt to the constant study after work. It does take some commitment to come home from work knackered and have the concentration to sit down in front of a book.

I found London Met to be very good (although I did use Bristol's question bank for revision as LMU IT system is a bit 20th century). London Met conducts the course over 3 phases, with a week's brush up at the end of each phase. This format and location of the university suited my job commitment, and holidays.

Good Luck with your studies.

downwind24
24th Jun 2010, 16:15
Bristol Groundschool are top class ! Mod 1 with a 96% average and now on Mod 2 , im no math's/Physics genius by any stretch of the imagination either!

The course structure and support offered is second to none , and i have experience of another T/O that i started with , who were not a patch on BGS!

Give them a call and ask for the free demo dvd

Bristol.gs (http://www.bristolgroundschool.eu/groundschool/main.aspx)

Lightning Mate
26th Jun 2010, 16:07
The original poster said he was interested in three modules.

Try Cabair.