PDA

View Full Version : Deleting(and reinstalling) Adobe flashplayer

621andy
16th Jun 2010, 14:50
For some reason Flashplayer Activex wasn't working on my lappy so I tried to uninstall it and planned to then re-install it...However, it now won't run OR uninstall!! Just sits there not going away:mad:

Hayellp!

Ta muchly in advance!

...And yes, before anyone asks, I've tried going to Control panel and uninstalling it from the list.

It doesn't appear in the list of 'All Programs' when I select it using the windows button bottom left, but does appear in the uninstall list in Control panel:confused:

Bushfiva
16th Jun 2010, 15:25
Download the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html)

621andy
16th Jun 2010, 17:51
Many thanks:ok: I'll try it now...

Hmmm, well it uninstalled it ok, and I've supposedly re-installed it...but it doesn't work:ugh:

According to the uninstall list it's there(and it disappeared from here when I uninstalled it), but according to the 'all programs' list it doesn't exist:confused:

Aaarrgghh I hate computers:mad:!!!

Frelon
18th Jun 2010, 12:57
Whilst using the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller it reminds you to close down your browser (easy to overlook when clicking all those buttons) whilst deleting Flash Player. Did you remember to do this?

Tarq57
19th Jun 2010, 00:30
Go to the Adobe page (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html) hosting the removal tool and download it.
Close all browsers. Run the tool. (Although not prompted to, I usually reboot at this point.)
Then go Here (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) and download/install the flash player. (I suggest you do not include the free security scan that installs with it, unless you opt out.) Do this for each browser you use. At some point when installing in IE, it will tell you to close the browser to finish the installation.
Depending on the type of firewall you use, you may be prompted for certain files or reg entries to be modified.

621andy
20th Jun 2010, 06:42
Tarq57- I've done everything as per your destructions, but it still won't install properly.

In Control Panel I can find 'Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX' but it doesn't show up in 'Programmes'....:ugh:

Thanks anyway everyone!

Tarq57
20th Jun 2010, 07:25
What OS do you use, and what security applications?
Is this file present on your C drive C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll and if so, what version is it?

Are you running the uninstaller/installer files on an admin account?

Bushfiva
20th Jun 2010, 12:00
It's a browser add-on, it won't show up in Programmes. If you can watch stuff on Youtube, it's working.

621andy
22nd Jun 2010, 15:16
Hmm, I wish I could watch youtube vids, but the lovely Turkish censor won't let me!

Tarq57-No it doesn't show up!

Tarq57
23rd Jun 2010, 03:08
If it isn't there (you would have to check that hidden files and system files are not "hidden" to see it) it hasn't installed.
Are you installing as an administrator?
What browser?
What OS?
What security apps?

This is like getting blood out of a stone.

621andy
23rd Jun 2010, 12:52
This is like getting blood out of a stone

You don't have to help:} But thanks anyway:ok:

Sooo, Winders 7 & internet explorer, and as far as I'm aware I'm installing it as administrator.
Oh, and I use Windows firewall, Spyware Doctor, and Avira Antivirus personal.

I've just tried watching a youtube vid via a proxy site and it doesn't appear to work...and I just looked for the WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
jobby and that doesn't show up either...

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2010, 17:28
Windows 7 32 or 64 bit?

SD

621andy
25th Jun 2010, 07:12
Saab Dastard- I assume 32:confused: but I have to say I'm not sure!

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2010, 17:08
You need to be sure - there is no 64-bit Flash plug-in.

So on a 64-bit system you have to specifically install a 32-bit browser that can use 32-bit Flash player.

SD

621andy
26th Jun 2010, 14:56
Just checked; Deffo 32 bit...

:sad:

Tarq57
26th Jun 2010, 19:42
Getting somewhat into guesswork territory, here, but this is what I'd try.

Select the uninstall tool linked above, right click, "Run as>administrator"
Reboot.
Disable Spyware Doctor.
Select the IE icon, go to the adobe here (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/) and download the installation file.
Close IE.
Right click that file, select "run as> administrator" and let it install.

My guess is that an element of SD maybe uses IE, thus locking it, or is in some other way blocking its installation.

It shouldn't really need admin rights to install, so up to you if you want to skip that aspect of the instructions.

See how it goes. Good luck.