PDA

View Full Version : Another Bird Strike - Alitalia?

repariit
16th Jun 2010, 14:46
BOSTON, Massachusetts Alitalia Flight 615, from Boston to Rome, has made an emergency landing shortly after take off after it struck a bird, local media reported.
The Alitalia Flight was forced back to Logan Airport after one of its engines caught fire in the aftermath of the bird hit.
The flight was no safely on the ground, reports said.
Engine 1 of the Alitalia Flight was said to have caught fire, passengers on the ground speaking to media said they were shocked when they realized one of the engines was hit and in flames.

BIGBAD
16th Jun 2010, 14:51
fun old thing birds and aircraft can be in the sky at the same time and the sometimes bump into each other . Another bird strike ???????????????????

simonchowder
16th Jun 2010, 15:46
Shock/horror, not another one where is it all going to end ? i dont think those birds realise the damage they cause with their cavalier attitude to airmanship

JimmyTAP
17th Jun 2010, 19:19
What is it about this site sometimes? Someone takes the time to report a genuine incident and all he gets for his troubles are facetious and childish comments. Bird strikes and engine fires are not all that common and certainly the incident described seems worthy of reporting.

smudgethecat
17th Jun 2010, 19:26
Bird strikes are not all that common ? get out of the classroom and into the real world mate.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Jun 2010, 19:35
Jimmy... You'd be amazed how common bird strikes are. I was the Tower controller at Heathrow once when there were 215 bird strikes in about 5 minutes!

JimmyTAP
17th Jun 2010, 19:35
Oh no, another smart alec proving my point exactly. Can't you argue a point without being negative, sarcastic or generally unpleasant?
For your information I spent 22 years flying before going into the classroom. The aircraft I was in were struck by birds a grand total of once in that time. In my experience, I think that's quite rare.

Common? With engine fires as well - I don't think so.

simonchowder
18th Jun 2010, 16:00
Actually TAP if you look at the CAA website it records the number of reported birdstrikes and its fairly obvious from those reported to them alone its a very common occurance (unless of course there also out of touch with reality)

JimmyTAP
18th Jun 2010, 16:58
And how many were associated with engine fires or failures - not many I suspect - that is what the original poster was talking about. Funny how so many fail to read what is there in front of them.