PDA

View Full Version : American pilots flying in Peru?

EastCoastFlyer
16th Jun 2010, 02:24
Hi - If this question has been posted previously I apologize for the double post. I couldn't find anything with the search function.

I have some questions about flying in Peru.

First, is it possible for an American with low hours (650 TT/140ME with instrument/multi instructor ratings) to land any meaningful pilot employment in Peru? I have a Peruvian connection (my wife a Peruvian national), and we would love to re-locate to Lima. I am working on my Spanish fluency (getting there,. close).

Second, if it is possible, I read on this website you have to apply for Peruvian pilot's licenses/medical/etc. Is this time consuming/difficult?

Third, are the airlines in Peru - Star Peru, Lan Peru, Taca Peru - considered major airlines and difficult to get hired by?

Finally, if the first and second points are possible - is this an exercise in futility at my age (36)?

Thanks for any input.

Loco-S
1st Jul 2010, 03:25
You should be able to convalidate your FAA license by the window, I don't know much more, but you will have to go to the DGTA office ( Direccion General de transporte aereo) ( in the " ministerio de transportes y comunicaciones" building in Lima), Pilot jobs are scarce, and not well paid, if you look for an entry level, you may be lucky to fly in Nasca Peru, or fly air taxis ( small single or twins, in what can be considered " Indiana Jones style") in the Jungle, most airlines only will start to look at your resume with no fewer than 1250 hours and with recomendation from somebody "in the know", if you have a CFI/ CFII, you may be able to teach South of Lima, in a dirt strip near Chincha between the Kilometers 181 and 183 on the Panamerican highway south, the Collique Airport was illegally sold by the government to make space for new housing projects, and the national pilot school moved to a military base in Las Palmas ( in Chorrillos, Lima) so no way to get a job as an instructor there, as the Air Force will not let you touch their planes being a foreign national, and their 1961 vintage T-41's with 1940's technology are considered top secret stuff, The Collique Air club closed in 1998 because they couldn't maintain their airplanes (3 Piper Pa-28-140 Cherokee) , as there was only five people actively flying, the best bet could be for you to bring your own aircraft and start a school down there ( make sure its new-er). Lately the Peruvian Government, in their infinite " unwisdom" decided to cancel operations permits to any airplane with more than 20 years of age, so, they went from 220 aircraft, to only 40 allowed to fly: in the whole country. Good luck. I left ten years ago.