PDA

View Full Version : Officers' No 5 Dress

jkots
15th Jun 2010, 20:03
Hi,

I haven't posted on here before however I'm hoping to get some advice...

My No. 5 Mess kit that I was issued after IOT appears not to have grown with me over the past 6 years - as such it has reached the limit of any reasonable tailoring and adjustment!

I'm now knocking on the door of needing a new jacket made for me, or possibly a whole new kit.

Does anyone know of any military tailors who produce a good quality product? I've heard rumours that there is a good tailor who makes 5s at Lyneham, does anyone have any gen on this? All suggestions will be gratefully received!

Many thanks

jkots

Standby!
15th Jun 2010, 20:14
A new pair of trainers might be cheaper!;)

jkots
15th Jun 2010, 20:44
Haha - good point! However I'm happy to say it's not that kind of growing - more upwards and broader shoulders, which is why tailoring reached its limit quite quickly!

SirToppamHat
15th Jun 2010, 21:08
Wasn't there something on here not long ago about a free re-issue for someone who continued to grow (upwards) after IOT?

STH

Duchess_Driver
15th Jun 2010, 21:26
Don't mention broad shoulders... you'll get the blame for everything!

Been a while, but Snaiths at Cranwell used to offer a sterling service.

chinook240
15th Jun 2010, 21:32
Find someone who's leaving and buy theirs - they'll be lots of us soon!!!!!!

Geehovah
16th Jun 2010, 05:49
Amazing how those things shrink isn't it?

I agree. Snaiths at Cranwell have always been good although not cheap.

Its a shame the online site offering used uniforms hasn't had more sucess. I'd recycle my "one use only" No6 and No8:ugh:

Pontius Navigator
16th Jun 2010, 06:33
Wasn't there something on here not long ago about a free re-issue for someone who continued to grow (upwards) after IOT?

STH

It was certainly the case for airmen. I once had a lad that filled out rather a lot, like a McDonalds. The key to an immediate re-kit was his age when the initial issue was done. If jkots got his when he was 17 then he might be able to argue his case even if there has been no precedent.

I am pleased to say that my initial officers were excellentas were City. My No 5, issued when I was an 11 stone sloth still fitted, after a fashion 35 years or so later when sloth had developed further.

For those pythons amongst us, not jkots though, a diet can work out much cheaper. I assembled some £1,500 of suits ready for a trip to the tailor and the letting out of the waist band when Mrs PN stopped me and put me on the scales.

One month later, and remaining £1,500 to the good, I did not need the journey.

rock34
16th Jun 2010, 08:15
Just admit it, you're fat and need to get out running more.

jkots
19th Jun 2010, 11:00
Thanks for the interesting replies!

Does anyone know if this tailor at Lyneham is any good? I've heard it's the same guy who does Cosford, Halton and I think a couple of other bases?

All suggestions welcome!

Cheers

BEagle
19th Jun 2010, 12:15
Bought my No.5 jacket in 1972 from Moss Bros as I was Senior Student at the UAS and had to go to various functions, last wore the same jacket in 2003. Never bothered with 'proper' Mess Kit trousers as my No.1s had been cut sufficiently high....and loose!

Cummerbunds, pansy blue or squadron, came and went with the years, as did waistcoats both blue and those awful stiff-fronted white ones with wing collars...:uhoh:

Hated all types of jockstrappery after all those years of compulsory sport at boarding school - but the secret of not letting the tailor make things too tight was once explained. Wear a pullover under your shirt when being fitted and don't let the beggars make anything tight fitting! Leave tight-fitting kit to the umpty-umpth Queens Own Chinless Pwancers and their Quality Street pongo suits.

bunta130
19th Jun 2010, 16:04
The Mess Dress Ltd (The Mess Dress (http://www.messdress.com)) down in Bournemouth made me a replacement, for when each button and fastener was reaching the limit of its capability. The kit was tailor made from scratch, and turned out very nicely indeed, at a very reasonable price too. If you can stand being catered for by one who also sorts the Army, he's your man.....

Mine was done 23 years after joining though..... Eat less pies!!

Saintsman
19th Jun 2010, 17:20
Slightly OT.

With the cuts that the forces will no doubt endure, do you think that it's really necessary to issue 'best' uniforms that most of the time remain in a wardrobe? Anything that can be saved without impacting operational performance will be the order of the day from now on. Is this one way?

Dancing Bear
19th Jun 2010, 20:29
JKOTS,

Gary Beverley, formerly of Gieves and Hawkes, great tailor and a fraction of the price, his website is;

Garry Beverley Tailoring (http://www.gbeverleytailors.co.uk/)

I had a Mess Kit made up by him 5 years ago, fantastic service and a great product, he also supplies Caps, made by the former G&H Cap maker again for a fraction of the price. I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

Alternatively 'phone the dead mans store at HMS VICTORY, via the Hall Porter, there is an absolute stash of retired officers uniforms at incredible prices, you just have to be lucky in your sizes!

Good luck, if you want any more info PM me.

Rgds

DB

Union Jack
19th Jun 2010, 22:00
Alternatively 'phone the dead mans store at HMS VICTORY, via the Hall Porter, there is an absolute stash of retired officers uniforms at incredible prices, you just have to be lucky in your sizes!

Dancing Bear - I rather think that JKOTS is looking for something in a lighter shade of blue than might be available at NELSON - Victory Barracks as was! I'm very glad to hear that the "facility" still operates, although I can't help recalling how many of the dark blue No 5s one used to find there had belonged to Medical Branch psychiatrists who had topped themselves .....:eek:

Jack

Hueymeister
19th Jun 2010, 23:15
I got mine sorted by EC Snaith in Denbigh...complete set £250 for Jacket, trousers and rank braid. They look ace.:ok::}

chinook240
20th Jun 2010, 06:17
£1400 for mess kit - snip!

Garry Beverley Tailoring Air Force Uniform (http://www.gbeverleytailors.co.uk/airforceuniform.asp)

Officers UK Prices Mess Kit £1395.00