PDA

View Full Version : Didn't notify the CAA of illness - am I in trouble?

iwishi
15th Jun 2010, 12:55
This is a tricky one and it’s now beginning to really really worry me. I hope I can get some guidance and advice.

I lost two family members one day after the other last year and as a result I suffered from depression. I went on to a low dose of Citalopram for about 3 months and I got off it as soon as I could.

During this time I concentrated on my PPL exams rather than the flying – I didn’t tell anyone at the flying club as I didn’t want to be judged and labelled (people talk at airfields!) and I didn’t want it to affect my PPL.

I also didn’t notify the CAA – not deliberately I’d like to add – it simply didn’t cross my mind at the time – I figured the depression was just a “blip” and that it would be over soon which I now realise was stupid and that mistake is now coming back to haunt me. I had already been issued with my Class 2 medical the year before and I would shortly like to go for my Class 1.

Obviously I want to be honest and declare that I had depression and I was on medication but it’s just occurred to me that by going to the Class 1 medical it will quite likely have an effect on my existing Class 2 medical.

I was issued with my PPL about a month ago and have been off medication for 4 months – every thing is back to normal.

I want to come clean as I don’t want any secrets but I’m worried that if I do, the CAA will revoke my license or do something because I didn’t tell them during the time I was unwell.

I want to call the CAA and ask but it’s the same person who answers the phones (who also booked my Class 1!) and I would like to remain anonymous.

I realise this was a very silly mistake.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Some advice would be appreciated. I need to put my mind to rest and I need to know the best way to approach this.

iwishi
15th Jun 2010, 18:14
Just to follow up on this - I called the CAA and told them. I feel a bit better even though I'm now grounded. I need to get my doctor to confirm to the CAA I'm fit to fly. Hopefully it will be ok - I'm very nervous to say the least.

johnriketes
15th Jun 2010, 18:49
Would not a flying instructor, especially the instructor/examiner who checked you out for your PPL be in a better position to see that you were fit to fly, rather than a visit to a doctor?

Unless your Dr., is a "shrink" there would be a lot he could apart from a quick BP check, would their?

gingernut
15th Jun 2010, 21:06
The truth of the matter is, if you didn't declare it, it's unlikely your AME would find out, unless you crashed into a house, or otherwise killed a few people with your aircraft. (And then, everything gets examined).

The cross fertilisation between your medical history and the AME's assessment probably doesn't actually take place in real life. The cross over of information isn't that sophisticated. (Yet).

Having said all that, you've come up clean, which probably says more about your airmanship than anything else. It sounds like it was more an oversight, (did you fully understand the question) than any attempt to deciet, (and it's probably a good idea to stress this point to the CAA).

Having told you how the system works, it's probably a good idea to remind anyone seeking an aviation medical....

Telling lies to your AME is like sleeping with your wife's sister, it seems like a good idea at the time, but it's bound to catch you out in the end:)

(So I'm told.)

iwishi
15th Jun 2010, 21:38
Thanks for your replies. I guess I needed some ressurance - this all happened after my class 2 and I didn't think about it until very recently and it's been bugging me ever since.

I don't want to hide anything and I don't consider myself as a dishonest person and all though I feel pretty awful at the moment Im pleased it's out in the open. I just hope they don't do anything too drastic.

Anyhow, lesson learnt and I will post an update once I know more.