PDA

View Full Version : DOS Aspect Ratio with XP

seacue
15th Jun 2010, 12:30
I am searching for the improbable. I have some DOS programs which run happily on XP. The trouble is that I've progressed to a wide-screen monitor and the full-screen image is stretched horizontally to be "full screen". I'd much rather keep the 4x3 aspect ratio.

Other than DOSbox (with its severe performance effects) can anyone suggest a way to retain the 4x3 aspect ratio. I also tried TameDOS, but the display was a mess.

Thank you all,

seacue/bob

Helix Von Smelix
15th Jun 2010, 16:33
left click on the "DOS" logo in the top left corner of the DOS box. Go to properties. You may find what you're after in there.

Saab Dastard
15th Jun 2010, 17:05
You might find a work-around using nVidia desktop manager or equivalent. Set up a shortcut to re-size your desktop to run your full-screen DOS app, then return to original settings.

SD

Simonta
15th Jun 2010, 18:33
Hi Seacue

You could create a batch file to launch the program and surround it with command lines to change the screen resolution. There are loads floating around, here's one:

ResChange 2.10 - Change resolution temporarily or permanently with command line switches (http://www.softhypermarket.com/ResChange-download_23474.html)

Pressing ALT-ENTER in a command prompt will switch between full screen and windowed.

Cheers

Simon

bnt
15th Jun 2010, 23:05
Can't you do something with the monitor settings? In my case my monitor is also a TV, so it has aspect ratio settings.

seacue
16th Jun 2010, 10:04
Thank you all for the suggests. I haven't hit on a proper solution yet, but I appreciate the list of other things to try.