PDA

View Full Version : Naughty Boys

I16
15th Jun 2010, 12:04
Pilots raced cars down runway | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/south-island/3813307/Pilots-banned-after-racing-cars-along-Queenstown-runway)

Peter Fanelli
15th Jun 2010, 12:35
They probably just spotted some hot sheep.

VH-XXX
15th Jun 2010, 12:46
Pity they weren't racing an aircraft down the runway. You haven't lived until you've raced your light single at 5ft down the runway at 150 knots against a hotted up Monaro, Harley or Hayabusa GSXr1100!! This should be encouraged, it's a lot of fun! At least in the aircraft we don't have to stop at the end of the runway!

Aerodynamisist
15th Jun 2010, 12:47
Unfortunately the only option to these clowns is to cross the ditch now now. Wasted effort when the asic check happens..

Runaway Gun
15th Jun 2010, 16:18
A metal strip on a runway was blamed by investigators as the cause of an Air France Concorde crash on the outskirts of Paris in July 2000, which killed 113 people.

Jeez Louise, you Kiwis operating Concordes soon hey?

Neptunus Rex
15th Jun 2010, 16:46
Some years ago, at Puckoon International (RAF Ballykelly) we were returning to the Mess from a Sunday lunch with a married mate and his wife, who lived in the local village. As I had enjoyed some very fine wine, one of our WRAF officers volunteered to drive us back in my Mk II Jag. She could not resist the urge to turn on to the short runway and do the 'ton.'

When we were stopped by the RAF police, she wound the window down, showed her ID, smiled sweetly and said:
"Flying Officer Brunette, Air Traffic Controller, - Runway check."
Corporal Plod melted, and we repaired to the bar.

Halcyon days!

The Green Goblin
16th Jun 2010, 03:04
I suppose one of the fellas over here riding his scooter up the runway starkers on his scooter in the middle of the night was alright then :p Don't worry he had his ASIC around his neck!

zk850
16th Jun 2010, 03:39
If I am not mistaken (second hand info) one of them was an Aussie.

Stationair8
16th Jun 2010, 06:51
It has been done a few times over the years, but I suppose the fun police have to put a stop to it.

lilflyboy262
16th Jun 2010, 07:16
Just don't do it at a international airport?

fencehopper
16th Jun 2010, 08:47
About 92/3 i was working at Camden airport really late and instead of driving long way home i slept in my van. i was woken up just on dawn by a medivac helicopter. the groundsman had found a rolled car that belonged to an instructor who with his mate had called into the airport on way home from pub to do a run down the strip and ran off the end and rolled the car. They had bad injuries and remained there for several hours until found. I felt bad about it as i slept thru it.

I16
25th Jun 2010, 10:39
Fun in the snow or sun year round ....

Rolling plane blamed on pilot | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/3852245/Rolling-plane-blamed-on-pilot)

gupta
25th Jun 2010, 23:57
IIRC in the early 80's the runway friction tester was a Holden V8 panel van towing the equipment trailer - oh what fun that was.

Fantome
26th Jun 2010, 09:10
might not have it 100 pc correct but TE Lawrence, aka Aircraftsman Shaw, met his Waterloo on his Brough Superior torching down one of the long straight roads of Lincolnshire , racing one his squadron's Brisfits. A T-intersection came up a bit quicker than he anticipated. Terrible terrible waste.

18-Wheeler
26th Jun 2010, 14:32
Been there, done that. :)
I had to run-in the engine on the racing car many years ago, and I asked the guys in the tower at the local airport if I could use one of the taxiways to run it up & down to bed the rings in. They knew me well and said yeah no probs, just stay north of such-and-such a taxiway.
They must have enjoyed it, because my mate Brian came down in one of the FAC cars and let me have a run down the runway - 14 I think it was, down to just before the tower then we got off.
I might have done something similar with a 100cc Sprint Kart at a GA airport near Sydney in the mid 90's ... no permission I just hopped in and blasted off. Guess the bloke in the Partenavia who's wing I drove under must have called the tower because when I parked the kart back in ******'s hanger I shut the door quickly, just before a security car came ripping around the corner looking everywhere for me.
Ah, the good old days ... :D

mattyj
27th Jun 2010, 01:43
Where's Steve Zissou? I thought he'd have a comment on this...:hmm:

cficare
27th Jun 2010, 03:13
They do it all the time on "Top Gear".

OZBUSDRIVER
27th Jun 2010, 04:25
Used to easily get to the old ton at Redo.

Easy way of knowing...your eyes water up uncontrollably...naughty naughty back of CB750 and no helmets:=

Aerozepplin
27th Jun 2010, 05:19
A mate's old man gets to test cars on runways for his employeer. They want ones that'll go fast, so sounds like a damn fine job to have to me.

EBCAU
27th Jun 2010, 06:47
In anything involving aviation - if it can go wrong it will go wrong.

Masterton, NZ. Local hoon cops don't realise the white marks just passed signify the end of the runway and career though the fence and across the road with much explaining to do as to what happened to the patrol car - a bit funny.

Gisborne, NZ. Similar scenario but no cops involved until all went wrong, just a hot Holden. One passenger dead, one a widow, the driver jail for eighteen months - a lot sad.

Weekend_Warrior
28th Jun 2010, 03:14
I recall it happening at Ohakea - ex-RNZAF pilot was attending a reunion, tried for the NZ LSR on the runway in new BMW and tangled with the arrestor gear - agreed to pay mega-$$$$$ for the damage to avoid more serious consequences. Was hubby of semi-well known TV celeb who now does adverts.

13/31
28th Jun 2010, 08:16
I remember the runway friction testing program well Gupta. There was also a Falcon V8 panel van with roll cage fitted for towing the Mu meter trailer.:ok: