PDA

View Full Version : Challenger 300 vs 605

epsum
15th Jun 2010, 09:42
Right now hypothetical question, but if you should suggest to choose between CL300 vs CL605(604), then which of them is better. I know tech data and price tags, but from pilots and operations point of view? I presume that 605 had been longer in production (since the old 600 days) so probably less child-illnesses and has a larger cabin, but has it actually preference from clients over 300, when average trip time is around 2h and utilization is 600h per annum?

Thanks in advance,
E.

LGW Vulture
15th Jun 2010, 10:25
Firstly you can count on lower operating costs - say US$200 less on the CL300 per hour and of course, if your sectors are two hours on average, there's little need for the extra range of the CL604/5. Plenty of newer cheap CL300s around.

Red Mud
16th Jun 2010, 17:07
Some good bargains to be found on both types these days. The 300 lacks the full cabin of a 605 but is still quite large and very comfortable. As stated above its hourly operating costs are less but it is range limited at .80 to just over 3000nm. I guess the answer lies in whether or not your flight department is growing with ever increasing leg lengths which would bring the greater range of the 605 into play. Both are outstanding aircraft.

falconflier
16th Jun 2010, 18:17
We leased a 605 last summer and while the aircraft has been great for us, the 300 might have been more ideally suited from a mission standpoint. Looking to replace a Hawker 800 and the 300 numbers were very appealing, DOCs, fuel burn, it's no wonder Flexjet has done so well with them. My boss loves the 605 cabin but unless you're flying 3500nm, 6+ hour legs with 6 or more pax on a regular basis, the 300 is the airplane. That being said, performance on our 605 has not kept us out of any of the smaller airports we usually fly to. We've done 4000' and even a 3500' runway without any problems, under ideal weight and temperature conditions of course.

deskjockey101
17th Jun 2010, 07:21
From a customers point of view (as that is my thing) outside of the range issue it will depend on how the customer "feels" about the cabin. My advice would be to make sure that your principle flies both aircraft over the sector length that they are going to fly and get a feel for the cabin's and the amenities, and also it is best to fill the respective cabins with passengers as they both feel different with a large passenger loads (both cope well, but the layout of the 605 is more conducive to a lower passenger load if you go for the sofa, although this gives a better sleeping arrangement for lower passenger numbers...we operate both aircraft, and both are very capable, and of course the 600 series has the most aircraft operting right now (750+) so plenty of spares/maintainance/crew etc.......
Hope this helps
DJ