PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a cost effective way of renewing MEP and IR?

speed freek
14th Jun 2010, 22:54
Basically as the title says. Got to get it done before I hit the 5 year limit on the ratings but cost is a factor. Anyone know anyone who has a twin and an examiner's rating?

Didn't there used to be someone at SOU with a Grumman Cougar?

Cheers.

welliewanger
15th Jun 2010, 16:42
I did mine in a Cougar one year... horrible machine!

Last time I renewed mine it was with EFG at Biggin Hill. Nice examiner and a good price.

Alternatively you could try stapleford. They've got shiny DA42s

MIKECR
15th Jun 2010, 18:07
If you've been out of IR currency for a while then you might be cheaper doing some of the renewal training in the likes of an FNPT2.....probably half to a third of the price of a typical MEP hourly fee.

An examiners fee will probably be in the region of £150 to £200.

P Clipper
15th Jun 2010, 22:18
Hi there.
I have just been informed by my doctor (class 1 renewal today) that there is a company with a Technam twin based at Wycombe Air Park. The aircraft is powered by two Rotax engines and the avionics consists of a Garmin glass cockpit. All this for 200 quid per hour wet!
Might be worth a look.

smangnall
24th Jun 2010, 03:05
Anyone liek to give a little more info on the Technam twin? IR renewal up soon very very rusty, need to keep the costs down!

Much appreciated.:)

Prophead
25th Jun 2010, 18:52
Google 'Airways Wycombe' and see what they have on their website. Alternatively if you can spare the time then go down to the AeroExpo this weekend and have a look at/in it and speak with the instuctors. They have it out and are proudly showing it off and very nice it looks too.

chocksawayyy
28th Jun 2010, 10:54
I enquired into flying the tecnam, it looks a beautiful machine and its only £200 an hour wet. its based at airways flying club at wycombe, and caa examiner fee as already stated £150-£200

wangus
3rd Jul 2010, 16:30
Just been on website, and unless I'm having a bad day, I see nothing about IR or their TWIN.
Gain advanced Pilot qualifications with Airways Flying Club | Night Qualification, IMC Rating, Multi-Engine Rating, Flight Instructor Rating, (http://www.airwaysflyingclub.co.uk/pilot-training/advanced-pilot-training.aspx)

(IMC Yes)

portsharbourflyer
3rd Jul 2010, 21:39
The Flyer magazine website has an article about the Tecnam at Wycombe Air Park, however there is one thing I would advise you on your renewals; that while some dual rates look quite favourable, if there are not any instrument facilties at the airfield where you are training, then you will soon lose any savings in positioning flights. That said 230 an hour is quite favourable, but at a guess I would assume that from Wycombe you would need to position to Cranfield or Oxford for Instrument training.

Dannyboyblue
10th Aug 2010, 10:36
Make sure you call Airways before deciding on the technam, just researching my twin rating as we speak and all prices are +VAT!

welliewanger, why did you not like the cougar? At the moment westairs at thruxton seems like the best bet for me, by far the cheapest. Are there any issues with the aircraft or was it that you were used to a different type?

DBB

wangus
12th Aug 2010, 16:51
Website still says nothing about IR renewals on the Tecnam.....:ugh:
Am I just missing it? Same at Western Air? Just MEP I can see.......

LHRjc
13th Aug 2010, 07:58
Airways @ Wycombe don't do IR renewals. However Wycombe Air Centre across the apron have an IR examiner on site and can do MEP & IR renewals. Albeit on the Beech Duchess rather than the Tecnam.

wangus
13th Aug 2010, 10:07
Thank you! I was starting to worry if I can't navigate a website, good luck with an FMC. (What an ugly aircraft!)

captainjono
25th Nov 2010, 20:51
Airways Flying Club @ Wycombe DO conduct MEP/IR renewals and revalidations.

I did my renewal there a month ago on the Tecnam P2006T. It's a great aircraft to fly and was £100-200 per hour CHEAPER than other flying clubs I got quotes from! So you can't argue with that!!!

Nice one Airways :ok:

2 Whites 2 Reds
27th Nov 2010, 08:26
Speed Freek....

Did you get it done in the end chap?

On the off chance you're still looking, I did my IR renewal with Flying Time in Shoreham in the week. They were bloody spot on and they have a brilliant FNPT 2 (DA42) and some real DA42's to go with it. Hadn't flown a Twinstar prior to going down there but all very simple. (Especially if you're from the 'Playstation Generation')

All the Best

2W2R :ok:

tecbar
6th Dec 2010, 20:06
I don't know if you have consider another country for your problem, but I did my ME in Poland on a brand new Tecnam P2006T with Garmin suite. I was very happy of the aircraft, the school and the price (275 euro/h all included!). Even I am Polish, I know my instructor was speaking fluently English, since I did my ME with another guy from Lithuania or Estonia and the course was performed in English.
If it is of any help, you may check this:
http://www.bartolini-air.com/subpage/60