PDA

View Full Version : Headsets for Turboprop aircraft

hotelmodemetar
14th Jun 2010, 18:45
Hello Freight dogs,

I am looking for a good headset for cargo turboprop aircraft.
Turboprop aircraft are very noisy, and it's even worse in cargo version :ugh: :mad:

What model would you recommend? And do you know where I could buy it on internet?

Thanks for the tips

Enjoy your flights!

Cheers :ok:

low n' slow
14th Jun 2010, 20:58
Bose headsets are the shizznit. I have a pair and can't fly without them. I fly the Saab 340, noisy little thing.

/LnS

Caboclo
14th Jun 2010, 23:07
The Bose X is the gold standard. I use the Bose QC 2 along with the mic adapter from uflymike.com in the Metroliner. The Anr isn't as good as the X, but it's a lot cheaper. I find it's quiet enough for the Metro 3, but when flying the Metro 2 I use earplugs under the headset, since the prop speed is 300 RPM higher. Not bad for short legs; if you're flying 2+ hours at a time, it might get annoying. Overall, I really like the headset; very light, comfortable and durable.

Ka D'argo
15th Jun 2010, 00:41
Is there any place to get a great deal on these headsets?

Caboclo
15th Jun 2010, 22:28
You can look on ebay for used items. The online pilot shops will all have similar prices for new stuff.

CargoMatatu
16th Jun 2010, 07:01
Does no-one love/recommend the good ole Dave Clarkes any more?

D-LZ 126
16th Jun 2010, 11:09
I flew ATRs (pax) for several years with D-Cs. Still have good hearing 20 years on, fly a lot of GA with them too. I like the noise canceling headsets, but my DCs with liquid ear seals are more than adequate, and bulletproof reliability-wise. I'll get the DC ANR headset too, one day.

Best

LZ 126

MIKECR
16th Jun 2010, 12:50
I found the Sennheiser HMEC 250 just as good as the bose. Its also less than half the price! Prices do vary a bit however...the cheapest i've found here in the UK is £340.

Vulcan607
16th Jun 2010, 20:18
bose headsets are good but I dont think worth 7-800 quids worth whatever they are charging for them now.

I used them when flying the B-200 and on 1 day the set i was using broke then got the backup headset out and the earpiece had fallen off!

.......but thats just 1 mans opinion!

On the other hand, the Sennheiser HMEC 250 that MIKECR is talking about I use for flying a turbo-prop and GA, I've had 500hrs of use from mine and think its great.

I think its just as good, its half the price, plus you get a nice little case to carry them in.

And again on the other hand, if money is no object and u want a noise cancelling headset I'd rather buy the light speed zulu than the bose, a friend let me borrow hers for a day and thought it was the best out the lot of them.

Piece of Cake
16th Jun 2010, 20:49
I can thoroughly recommend the Lightspeed Zulu, I compared it to a Bose and it was just as good (if not better quality), plus it is significantly cheaper and you get more features! For example you can plug in an audio device and it has bluetooth, which is very helpful if you are stuck on the ground with with the engines running and need to call ops.

Lamb Shank
17th Jun 2010, 04:47
Bose X are my choice. Lightspeed Zulu is nice and does have bluetooth features and are somewhat cheaper. If you buy Bose X from their website, you can incorporate a 6 month or 1 year payment plan that takes the pain away from pitching out $1000US.

SNS3Guppy
18th Jun 2010, 05:59
The bose X makes things sound clearer and quieter, but don't offer nearly the hearing protection that other headsets offer. Simply because something sounds quieter doesn't mean that your hearing is being protected. Hearing damage takes place not just through the ear canal, but through sound and wave propagation through the bones around your ear.

If you really want protection, a DC type headset works best, and should be improved with attenuating foam such as the Oregon Aero hush kit and ear seals.

The Bose X is expensive. I have one, and it's served well, and held up well in some demanding environments. That said, I also use a Bose Quiet Comfort QC-15 with a UflyMic, and it works exceptionally well. It has the advantage of being available on the road to wear when commuting some place, or to simply listen to the computer of music player. It can do double duty during flight, too...for long, quiet legs, music can be input to the headset through the UFlyMic, which doesn't interfere in the least with communications.