PDA

View Full Version : CJ2 vs CJ2+

CaptainProp
14th Jun 2010, 10:03
Could someone pls explain the difference between the two? Size? Year? Performance? etc etc.

Thanks!

CP

Trim Stab
14th Jun 2010, 10:13
The essential differences are that the CJ2+ is equipped with a FADEC, the FMS works out your critical speeds and sends them to the PFD (instead of having to work them out from tables), and you have the option to display approach charts on the MFD.

Pilot workload on the CJ2+ is less, which is useful if planning to fly single-pilot. There is no difference in performance and operational cost.

I believe CJ2+ came in around 2006 but standing by to be corrected. You can recognise CJ2+ because it does not have the thrust attenuator paddles behind the engines since the FADEC can accurately control idle thrust.

CaptainProp
14th Jun 2010, 10:27
Thanks for that!

CP

Trim Stab
14th Jun 2010, 10:35
I just found this:

Citation CJ2+ (http://www.cessna.com/citation/citation-cj2.html)

Where Cessna claim significantly better performance. I can't say I've noticed though!

Martin Barnes
15th Jun 2010, 06:19
frankly I would favor the CJ2 without the fadec system as its a simpler airplane and has none of the CJ2+ irritations such as the need to reset the fadec with a laptop each time it fails which on some aircraft is quite often.

The latest proline on the CJ2+ has a mind of its own when auto capturing the ILS which is an annoyance.

The CJ2+ advantages are the increase take off weight and ZFW which are a strange addition considering the airframe is the same on both types.

The big plus is the price as a 2002 CJ can be had for 3.5 mill which is a bargain for such a capable machine. Be sure to get a 3 screen proline system and a proparts and tap elite paid up airplane. some models have a digital N1 computor which calulates the N! for take off, climb and cruise.

Trim Stab
15th Jun 2010, 09:40
frankly I would favor the CJ2 without the fadec system as its a simpler airplane and has none of the CJ2+ irritations such as the need to reset the fadec with a laptop each time it fails which on some aircraft is quite often.

I agree the FADEC is not robust - but all the failures I have ever known are if the master-battery is flicked on (eg to check fuel) and then off again, before the FADEC has run through its boot cycle (about a minute) or else if, on shutdown, the master-battery is turned off before N2 has decayed completely to zero.

For me, the FADEC is a big boon - it reduces workload usefully, particularly on departure and initial climb.

Chinchilla.612
16th Jun 2010, 10:16
CaptainProp,
Personally I'd say the main difference between the two aircraft is just that the 2+ is more modern and has a few refinements compared to the earlier 2.

As examples of some of these, the main things that spring to my mind are the following. The FADEC (when operated carefully) simplifies operation a lot, and also removes the need for thrust attenuators as well as giving better performance (granted only to a small degree though). The addition of JeppView for the MFD on the 2+ is a great advantage especially when finding your way around new airports using the gps overlay, as well as enabling a paperless flight deck. The redesign of the landing gear got rid of the annoying Tow/Fly toggle on the nosegear.

From a company point of view there's probably not much financially attractive about the 2+ as they are very close cost wise to operate, but obviously it is less expensive to aquire a 2. From an owner pilot point of view however the 2+ wins hands down in my opinion as it is a nicer aircraft.

Martin,
I seem to recall being told the change in weights for the 2+ was (at least in part) due to the change in the undercarriage.
So far (touch wood) I've not had any problems with the proline auto capture of an ILS and find it a fantastic system.
As for the FADEC, I've had one fault on it in 400 hours operation, so again seems a pretty good system.

Trim Stab,
I'm told another gotcha with the FADEC is if you connect ground power without having the Gens in the OFF position.......will generate a fault more often than not (and that's how I got my only fault.....oops).

Happy landings,

Chinchilla.

WSUshox
16th Jun 2010, 22:23
Waiting for the N1s to reach zero has been corrected by a software upgrade. However, IMHO I would still wait. It only takes a few seconds. Most FADEC faults are a result of pilot error (just being honest). Such as shutting down the aircraft with the engine heats on, and such. Your fuel burns are also going to improve such as in the climb. I'm sure none of us can hold the 102.4% all the way up in the climb better than the FADEC (I wish I could but I can't), and that is money saved over the long haul. Just my 2 cents.

Tailwinds all!