PDA

View Full Version : Hayabusa space probe reentry

compressor stall
14th Jun 2010, 08:56
Did anyone else see it? A very nice bit of fireworks streaking across the horizon. :ok:

Teal
14th Jun 2010, 12:34
Quite a few videos on YouTube with some amazing footage, like this one:

YouTube - Japanese space probe 'Hayabusa' - spectacular re-entry into Earth's atmosphere (viewed at 39,000') (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCdGQhYLo30)

Interesting that NASA still uses a Douglas DC-8 for research.

compressor stall
14th Jun 2010, 13:18
Yep, it looked just like that, and that was from off the Eyre Peninsula at FL390! Would have looked better even closer! :ok:

Quite a few folk inside the DC8 and some nice camera equipment too! I was lucky enough to get a bo peep inside it when it got back. It sure gets around a bit. It's doing a lot of polar work for the next 2 years while a satellite is u/s and also does the hurricane observations. Fun flying!

Jabawocky
15th Jun 2010, 00:07
Looks like the old donks have been upgraded quite a bit.

They do bring a whole new meaning to the Experimental Category!

Cactusjack
15th Jun 2010, 06:18
I offered our Asian friends an extra $50.00 to crash the thing through Dixon's noth shore penthouse but they declined. Pity really......

ZEEBEE
16th Jun 2010, 02:00
Interesting that the Japanese scientists were only allowed access to the probe after the Aboriginal elders had verified that it hadn't damaged any "sacred sites" and given the OK.

Why are we still, in these times, pandering to this sort of superstitious claptrap ?

Super Cecil
16th Jun 2010, 03:43
Because if a sacred site was indeed damaged then the space junk owners would have made everything right by paying compensation, a shipload of money would have made the damage all better. :rolleyes:

ZEEBEE
16th Jun 2010, 08:13
Because if a sacred site was indeed damaged then the space junk owners would have made everything right by paying compensation, a shipload of money would have made the damage all better.

True Cecil....but how do you tell if a sacred site is damaged when half of them are made up on the spot ?

Super Cecil
16th Jun 2010, 10:25
Zeebee, yoo sound cynical my son. Only the truely ancient and gifted people can know what bit of sand is sacred, what bush is priceless and what lizard is tasty. We just have to trust the honesty of these talented folks to tell us how the dirt was traumatised, sand impacted and how this effects the whole scheme of the dreamtime.

ZEEBEE
16th Jun 2010, 15:54
Zeebee, yoo sound cynical my son. Only the truely ancient and gifted people can know what bit of sand is sacred, what bush is priceless and what lizard is tasty. We just have to trust the honesty of these talented folks to tell us how the dirt was traumatised, sand impacted and how this effects the whole scheme of the dreamtime.

Super Cecil

I bow to your knowledge of these things...truly chastised and sorry to be so cynical :ooh:

Capn Bloggs
16th Jun 2010, 23:55
National Geographic Video (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/100614-hayabusa-re-entry-vin-video/)

I hope it was given as IFR traffic! :}

Counter-rotation
17th Jun 2010, 06:33
Just followed Teal's link from post #2 and got:

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

Hmmm, not sure why... I'm no YouTube expert, that's for sure!! :(

Bloggs, tried your link too - and got a page with an article, but no video would load!! Ah, my technology is failing me (again!)

CR.