PDA

View Full Version : SCAP modules - are they free?

mjs1976
14th Jun 2010, 08:12
As a new Boeing 737 operator, I recently accessed MyBoeingFleet to retrieve and download the SCAP module to be used with our aircraft performance software. As it was not there, I contacted Boeing Flight Ops directly and asked if one was available only to be told we had to pay almost $9000 for it!

I was sure (or at least I thought I was) that SCAP modueles were free for operators? Whilst working as an aircraft performance engineer at a previous airline operating 767s, we had all the SCAP data provided and I distinctly don't remember we had to pay anything for it.

I would appreciate if anybody can advise of what their experience has been with Boeing and obtaining SCAP modules before I approach Boeing again.

Thanks in advance.

desertopsguy
14th Jun 2010, 10:52
I was asked to pay for it at a previous carrier but I assumed at the time it was because we were not operating new aircraft.

I needed the data for our flight planning system. I got lucky in the end as the provider of our flight planning software actually had the scap data for the same engine/airframe config from another customer so they just allowed us to use it. Legal or not? who knows?

Possibly give your software provider a call and see if they have it. Failing that you should try you company Boeing rep. Am sure they can help.

Another problem you may be facing is if you are not the actual owner of the aircraft then that might be one reason they are charging. If xyz leasing company owns it then you should give them a call and explain that this data is required and insist that they source it.

Quite strange that you would be charged for it if your company purchased the aircraft new from the factory.

Best of Luck

mjs1976
14th Jun 2010, 20:33
The aircraft aren't brand new from Boeing but on lease. Should have made it clear.

Good tip about asking the lessor. However what gets me is that at my previous airline, our aircraft were also leased and as I say I certainly don't remember that we paid anything for the SCAP modules...

dispatchshmoe
16th Jun 2010, 06:31
The SCAPs are very pricey, but if you have a decent network of people at other carriers flying the same airframe/engine combo, you usually can work something out.

Which airframe/engine combo are you looking for?

mjs1976
19th Jun 2010, 11:01
Combination required is:
B737-300 engine CFM56-3B2
B737-400 engine CFM56-3C1

dispatchshmoe
23rd Jun 2010, 08:44
I have the takeoff/landing database for the B733 combination, but it is to FAA Rules, not JAA or UK CAA.

mfarrar
21st Jul 2010, 08:21
You might find that Boeing would release the data to a "third party supplier" (i.e., your flight-planning provider) under what they call a CCA (Contractor Confidentiality Agreement) - which forms part of the CSGTA (Boeing contract). The FP supplier may have the Boeing software (BPS, for example) needed.

mutt
21st Jul 2010, 10:02
Dispatchshmoe

Whilst it's easy to share modules or and software, who accepts the liability in the event of an incident?

Mjs1976, manufacturer software and training is a contractural issue, if you aren't the owner you will end up paying for the software, plus you will have to enter into liability agreements.

Mutt