PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading Star Posts

Pheasant
14th Jun 2010, 07:47
Is there something going on in the HQs? Looking at the RAF web-site DCinC(Ops) seems to have been downgraded from 3* to a 2* (Dick Garwood - congrats on recent award). In the RN I saw a report that the Second Sea Lord - Rear Admiral Montgomery - (used to be a 3*) visited Afghanistan recently.

Any wise heads out there?

Archimedes
14th Jun 2010, 08:29
There may be a move to do this, but...

Dick Garwood is acting DCinC(Ops); the post was meant to be filled by Timo Anderson on his promotion to 3*, but his appointment was changed to become head of the MAA. AIUI, the post is still a 3*, but the question is who will be the 3* to fill it.

I thought Vice Admrial Massey was 2SL, and RADM Montgomery Naval Sec (part of 2SL's HQ)?

Pheasant
14th Jun 2010, 09:11
I think Massey has gone...it was certainly a picture of Montgomery on MoD News with the caption "Second Sea Lord, RADM M....visiting Afgh..."

EODFelix
14th Jun 2010, 10:14
True - Dick Garwood is only filling in until August I belive when Andy Pulford takes over

alfred_the_great
14th Jun 2010, 18:18
Montgomery will be a 3* IDC. The RN wouldn't unilaterally downgraded their PPO.... I hope!!!

Tallsar
14th Jun 2010, 18:32
I feel sure any downgrading would not be unilateral and I haven't seen any official announcements. The RAF situation is now further compounded with the untimely and very sad demise of Chris Moran, having already been upset by Tim Anderson's "diversion" to the MAA.

Personally I think the time has come for a single 4* PJHQ commander and command and the reduction of the 3 service commands to 3* within that organisation, with commensurate reductions throughout each of their single service chains. That will not remove the 4 star "Head of Service at MoD level, to assuage concerns that each service will not have "equal rank" to the PJHQ op commander at the heart of government, and someone who will always top each service's interests at the policy/funding level.
Lower down the op command chain of course, there will be concerns about ensuring sufficient operational 2 and one star posts for deployments - but then who is to say the size of our deployable contributions will be that big and often post the SDR.
As for NATO?...well that's always influenced how many starred officers we have had as we strived to maintain our power in that organisation - but then as a nearly bankrupt country perhaps its time to get wise on what our real influence is. If we are not prepared to keep the defence budget at a high enough level to buy that influence - perhaps the days of "Rule Britannia" are finally approaching an end and its time to get sensible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
15th Jun 2010, 20:36
Dick "It's all right, I'll take full responsibility" Garwood has made 2*??
So it's still possible for party animals to get to Air Rank then.
Good on 'im!:D:cool: