PDA

View Full Version : B777 Engine Starter Crash Engagement?

mrvoo
13th Jun 2010, 17:01
Anyone can help explain the principle of the starter crash engagement? And how the starter control valve actually operate?

spannersatcx
14th Jun 2010, 04:33
you shut engine down, during shut down you get a tail pipe fire, before engine reaches 0% you reengage the starter to turn the engine to hopefully blow the tailpipe fire out.

MATMAX
14th Jun 2010, 07:36
and if i can , i would add that , thats the mean reason to get an ASU if the APU is U/S at the arrival of the A/C and of course , a fire extinguisher ... so , as a synthesis , every time an A/C is coming in with an U/S APU , get an ASU ready , just in case of...

spannersatcx
14th Jun 2010, 08:31
That's assuming you know it's inop!

MATMAX
14th Jun 2010, 08:54
spanners , of course , but many airlines as you know , are sending telexes or emails to advise outstations or with some , one is supposed to check the status of their A/C with their own system (thinking about LH).
just the thinking and experience of a french guy with a fake license ...
cheers.

mrvoo
14th Jun 2010, 17:31
Thanks~!;);););)

TURIN
14th Jun 2010, 19:20
MATMAX,

I'm just trying to get my head around your post.

So, the APU is u/s. The ASU is on standby at the gate. As the engines shutdown on stand, one of them has a jetpipe fire.

The ground staff all rush in and connect the ASU..........:suspect:

My experience of ground staff is they will be doing Billy big steps in the opposite direction from the aircraft as soon as they see a hint of smoke, never mind a fire. (I did).

Or have I got this wrong?

Is the ASU connected before engine shutdown? :confused:

Just asking. :ok:

muduckace
15th Jun 2010, 01:38
yeah, that is one oor the fd

MATMAX
15th Jun 2010, 07:56
TURIN,
you answered yourself to your question.
How do you motor an engine ?
You will always need a source of air , am i right ?
So the goal is to keep this source.
About ground staff , if you do not believe in them ... do it yourself.
muduckace , i guess you are saying : " yes , that is one for the fire department " ?
sorry mate , but i will not call the fire department every time an A/C get an inop APU ... and even if they are quick to act , i guess the A/C and do not forget , the PAX , the crew , etc , will be ........
Is there a fire extinguisher at every spot at the airport you are working ?
Salut.

TURIN
15th Jun 2010, 10:15
So, we connect the ASU before the last engine is shutdown, yes?

I'm only asking as I've never seen it done in practice.

We always have extinguishers at the gate though. :ok:

smudgethecat
15th Jun 2010, 10:32
I can see now why matmax is struggling for work what planet is he on,:ooh: and please, tell me he is not typical of DGAC licence holders if he is no wonder no one wants them

spannersatcx
15th Jun 2010, 10:58
fire extinguishers were removed from our ramp a while ago, if on taxi in apu fails and flt deck want fire cover then they contact tower for fire tenders to come out.
We'll be lucky if they (handling agent) turns up with a gpu even when they've been told apu is inop.:hmm:

One Outsider
15th Jun 2010, 12:37
MATMAX is describing the correct procedure. Of course this cost time and money so people will cut corners hoping to get away with it. Most of the time they do.

PPRuNe Pop
16th Jun 2010, 21:44
Didn't notice that a colleague had closed the thread before I deleted 12 posts - but deserved no less. Pathetic.