PDA

View Full Version : Average time to complete CPL(A)/IR

Quarto
13th Jun 2010, 11:20
Hello everyone

I'm Looking for a bit of information and advice.

I was just wondering how much time someone should budget for completing the CPL(A)/IR. My reason for asking is that I was looking to take a career break from my current job and was wondering how long I should ask for: 1 year, 9 months, 6 months etc? I realise that everyone is different and some will take longer/shorter and weather delays will also affect the time taken and they are unpredictable. Career break seems to be the best option in the current climate as I would still have a permanent full time job to return to once I have completed the courses. I will hopefully have the ATPL exams completed by September. I also have a some hour building left to do as well.

Also I'm not sure what time of year would be best to do this? I imagine spring/summer. I may be doing this in Scotland (ACS or Tayside) so weather may be a big influence. Other option would be to go abroad but not so sure about that option. Is the USA the only option for JAA courses abroad or can you train in New Zealand or Australia for JAA licences?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Quarto

captgeorgekajo
13th Jun 2010, 16:57
Hi Quarto

I did the CPL ME IR last year at Stapleford, started mid august and finished at end of Jan. That included a 3 week break over Xmas as Cranfield was closed.

Hope this helps

madlandrover
13th Jun 2010, 19:06
4-6 weeks is good going for a CPL depending on weather, IR should be doable inside 8 weeks assuming test day goes ok. I did my CPL/IR in 3 months reasonably consistent flying, summer 2007.

G SXTY
14th Jun 2010, 09:08
Yep, around four weeks to complete the CPL and a couple of months for the IR. Add in factor 'X' for weather delays (particularly during CPL training) and factor 'Y' for retests, broken aircraft, colds etc.

You're unlikely to complete them both in less than three months, but it shouldn't take more than four to five months in total. A six month career beak would suit you nicely.