PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers in Cannes

Captain Kaboom
13th Jun 2010, 10:48
Fellow aviators,

Recently I started flying for a new owner who is a tremendous nice guy.

Being the professional that I am :cool:, I would like to provide Ukrainian/Russian newspapers for my passenger.

The handling in Cannes is absolutely lazy and useless, simple hotel bookings have to be asked for several times without result and the standard response is that they are so busy and they shouldn't really be doing the job.....

Sorry for them, but this doesn't help us.

The big question, anybody aware of where to get Ukrainian/Russian newspapers in the vicinity of Cannes (LFMD) airport?

Any leads appreciated CK

gabon flyer 2
13th Jun 2010, 10:55
2 options;
You can either jump onto the courtesy car and drive behind the airport to a shop calles Cultura.....in a blue hangar....
Or you can try to retreive it from major hotel such as the majestice barriere or the Martinez....

Regarding LFMD Handling ....bienvenue en France

g4phil
15th Jun 2010, 14:10
Get your self a couple of Apple I-Pad's and a subscription to: NewspaperDirect - the leader in same-day international newspaper distribution (http://www.newspaperdirect.com/)

We have them printed and delivered by the catering unit in Nice.

With that amount of money floating about in the South of France there must be other agents (Boats or Aircraft) that print for customers.

Captain Kaboom
16th Jun 2010, 08:08
Thanks the both of you, the newspaper shop is a perfect short term solution.

But the newspaperdirect ''thing'' sounds very interesting, I''l get into that.

Thanks CK

CL300
16th Jun 2010, 13:01
your story was read by the top management at Cannes, let 's see if he can do something.

PicMas
16th Jun 2010, 13:13
Maybe top management could change the current autoreply behavior from his staff. A question started by "When....?" is automatically replied with a "ten minutes" even if the reality is two hours.
Personally I would much rather be told the truth than 13 x "ten minutes"

Captain Kaboom
17th Jun 2010, 14:43
Although it was not my intention of the thread, PicMas worded it well.

The feeling is more that what can you do for the handling staff than what can handling do for you.
I realize this might be a cultural thing but simple hotel bookings are a challenge at times.

On several occasions I experienced the situation that if you are asked which hotel are we booked in, the answer is; ''I don't know, I didn't book it or nobody asked me to book one''
In response, but we have an email confirming '' a hotel booking'', which one?

Just look it up in the file.
What still doesn't help sometimes.
Why confirm the email with the hotel request if you don't bother to book a hotel anyways.

Another very typical response that is a bit annoying, '' I don't know, I shouldn't be working right now , we are understaffed and I am not being paid enough''
That is a lot of information in one sentence.
Still trying to get an answer, (where is the catering, where is fuel) he would walk away without answering.
In some countries this might be considered a little bit impolite.

I realize that this staff member might have had slightly different career path in mind (didn't we all?) but I am still the paying customer that pays his paycheck in the end and a little respect and professionalism goes a long way.
We try to perform an outstanding service in our turn as well, and we simply need a little help now and then.

Anyways just a little feedback Mr/Ms CL300, maybe you can make a difference?

Once again, this was not the intention of the thread and there a very friendly, nice, professional people working for the handling as well!

learjet50
17th Jun 2010, 15:49
I Totally agree with you re Handling.

I was at Northern Eexec in Manchester (A Bit less Warmer than Cannes)
but i always drummed into the Staff One or Two very important factors to Provide good Handing and make sure the customer does not go elsewere.

1/ Always ensure the passengers are away as soon as possible after Landing and always ensure you have there Transport Details as to who if anybody is picking them up and always liase with the Transport prior to arrival.

2/ Ensure the Crew are looked after (They pay the Bill in the end)
Make sure everthing they asked for is in place.

Do Not Ever use the following

1/ The Transport is on the way
2/ Did you request a Hotel ?I dont remember seeing that.
3/ NEVER BULL**** If you have made a mistake forgotten something
Admit It and try to put right your Mistakes
4/ Always ask the crew on arrival what they want prior to Departure

We Never had any complaints 1 or 2 Whinges but dont all you pilots whinge when the Boss has Given you a hard DAY. Regretfully the handling agent gets it all Just Smile and Agree with what the crew say its just there way of letting off steam

I always found in 25 + years of handling if you are fair and honest to the Crew they return the favour..

Regards

Gerry

Avman
21st Jun 2010, 20:56
Perhaps you forget that some of these agents are now paid peanuts and treated like dung by their employers. The outcome is that they have little motivation to work to the standard you expect. Don't blame the guys and gals on the line, blame their top management.

learjet50
21st Jun 2010, 21:51
Avman

Totally agree with your comments

Pay Peanuts Get Monkeys

Regretfully the good old days are gone all they want to sell u is fuel and Very expensive CRAP Catering

The Problem is when you get a decent team together you have to pay them well or they will leave and go to Jack Marooche Handling down the Ramp who gives the 10 pence an hour more..

Gone the Good Days

falconeasydriver
6th Dec 2013, 12:27
Would NEVER rely on the agent for hotels, unless it was last minute...

A good Hostie knows where to get the required papers (and would guard her little black info book with her life)

Regarding handling staff, this simple principle applies "if you pretend to pay me...I'll pretend to work"