PDA

View Full Version : A challenge ......

Shaft109
12th Jun 2010, 16:52
OK as a challenge to the powers of pprune I'm looking for details of a flypast imprinted on my memory from about the late '80's.

I would have been about 7 or 8 and lived nr Bolton so not an obvious place to see fast mil jets but on this occasion an F111 came over about 200' and new instinctively from the paint scheme it was American - I've never forgotten and was a reminder of the endgame of the Cold War being played out.

So details - I have a vague recollection that it was an airshow near Manchester so poss. Barton but might have been Woodford. The year would have been about 1986, 87 or 88 as I lived in my old house and It was a US camo F111 so probably not a Raven. It was heading North to N-N-East towards Ainsworth (between Bolton and Bury basically).

Can pprune put any details to this dim memory?? Better still a photo or tailcode..

arai
13th Jun 2010, 20:43
Dutch website scramble.nl shows that F111's made appearances at Barton in 85,86 and 89! The serials/tailcodes are on there too. Go to www.scramble.nl>where to go>airshow reports>uk>Barton,
and there are show reports there. Unless you can narrow it down to the exact year then you may be out of luck.

There may even have been shows at Barton in intervening years, maybe someone else can confirm?
Good luck.....

Hth

arai.

Shaft109
19th Jun 2010, 15:20
Well that's a start - something to start working through!

Defo Barton airshow on the weekend in question (Parents said I couldn't go!!!)

Will trawl through to see if there were any airshows at Barton 1987, 88.

According to that website the Lakenheath aircraft were in pairs in 1986 but this was a lone ship so that sort of rules out 1986.

1989 is probably too late - as I said before I'd moved house by then but an outside chance so I'll keep that one in mind.

The one in 1985 (68-0020 from U Heyford for the detail junkies) is a possibility.

Amazed at the power of pprune and the web to put details to an almost forgotten memory. As daft as it sounds I've really got my teeth into this and remembering all sorts of things!