PDA

View Full Version : Cobham to merge with Alliance?

Beyond tha Threshold
12th Jun 2010, 07:07
Now that Carlyle have secured CAI (Alliance and Airwork), they are rumored to be sniffing around at Cobham. This would make great business sense, with significant cost savings and an effective monopoly on contract work in the Oceanic / Asian region.

Carlyle hovering over another aviation play

11 June 2010 | Jamie Freed and Sarah Thompson | The Australian Financial Review

With contracts exchanged between The Carlyle Group and Contract Aviation Industries (CAI), Street Talk can reveal that the US private equity giant is also giving Cobham Australia a very thorough once-over with a view to slapping it together with CAI.

afr.com - Opinion - The Australian Financial Review (http://www.afr.com.au/home/opinion/opinion.aspx)

3 Holer
12th Jun 2010, 07:26
Never in a million years!

For a start Carlyle couldn't afford Cobham and second, I doubt Cobham would sell anyway. Plus Krudd will tax them out of it.

Nice rumour though.:E

Heavy Cargo
12th Jun 2010, 09:54
It is true the parent can afford it, they are the US Defence contractor Halliburton and they want the coast watch contract. :)

beaver_rotate
12th Jun 2010, 11:50
Oh it's happening. Watch this space!!! And just in time for the Qlink 717 renewal.... standby for Fokkers with roos on the tail...

newsensation
12th Jun 2010, 22:02
I believe Qantaslink (sunstate/eastern) will use this as an opportunity to bring all WA flying in-house...:D

ANCDU
12th Jun 2010, 23:07
Rumour has it there is soon to be a large increase in Qantas 737 ops in the coming 18 months ,3-4 new airframes and a heap of crew to be based in Perth, maybe these will replace the 717's with a combination of Dashes. I thought Qantas owned the 717's? Also wouldn't the goverment have a say over who is running the surveillance contract?

Captain Klink
13th Jun 2010, 09:39
Heavy Cargo,
Isn't that why Cobham bought NJS? to get the Coastwatch contract.

Heavy Cargo
13th Jun 2010, 10:09
No idea,I heard it from a merchant banker/private equity who was involved with the Alliance / Airworks / Helicopter deal?:ok: The coming weeks will tell.

Icarus2001
13th Jun 2010, 11:01
I thought Qantas owned the 717's?

Indeed they do. Cobham provide the cheap crew and engineers.

Isn't that why Cobham bought NJS? to get the Coastwatch contract.

Indeed it was.

Funny how these rumours surface just before contract renewal talks begin.

"You will have to take a pay cut otherwise will we lose the contract and you will be begging on the street" :=

Oh it's happening. Watch this space!!! And just in time for the Qlink 717 renewal.... standby for Fokkers with roos on the tail...
Standing by. How long should we wait beaver_rotate?

campdoag
13th Jun 2010, 11:30
it might all turn a shade of orange...........

hongkongfooey
13th Jun 2010, 11:34
Would that be silver and orange, campdoag ;)

flyingfox
14th Jun 2010, 01:25
Cobham did buy National Jet for the Coastwatch contract. The other parts were just an associated cost in purchasing the target contract. The charter and airline sections are all now separated and could be sold or retained by Cobham as required. I guess the charter services (mining) of Cobham could sit very nicely with the Alliance opertations. I'm sure the division of the NJS operations onto separate AOC's was done in order to make some sections available for sale if required. Possibly depends on how big and tempting the offer to Cobham is!?

:suspect:

dizzylizzy
14th Jun 2010, 03:50
So replacing 717 with 738... wouldn't that flood the market with seats that the 717 can hardly fill as it is?

Capn Bloggs
14th Jun 2010, 03:59
I also doubt whether replacing the 717s with Q400s would sit very well with the customers given that there are any number of jet operators all over WA that could step up to the plate if a company wanted a jet service for it's contract. They might have low fuel burns but. WA isn't FNQ where there's nothing happening.

RENURPP
14th Jun 2010, 12:40
Bloggs,
I hear they are looking at the whole box and dice.
:ooh::ooh:

vigi-one
14th Jun 2010, 21:36
717's on an a lease from QANTAS. Cobham contract with QANTAS due at end of 2011(renewal in early 2012)

Cobham will retain the coast watch contract ( this is the parent company expertise and core business)

Carlyle will pick up charter business and replace 146's with F100's

QANTASLink will take the rpt back in place (business plan already done) with expansion of 737 flying in the west. Cseries to arrive in 2015.

QANTAS wont worry about replacing jets with Q400's look at Rocky, Mackay and Cloncurry (formerley jet runs).

Remember "jet like speeds" with intemediate cruise speeds less abit more because they are still going to fast!!!!

RENURPP
14th Jun 2010, 23:55
Cobham will retain the coast watch contract ( this is the parent company expertise and core business)

Maybe, but they are certainly looking and COBHAM is showing the whole lot.
Maybe, but replacing 146 with F100's is the customers choice, and don't forget they had the F100 option when they chose the 146 orginally.
QANTASLink will take the rpt back in place (business plan already done) with expansion of 737 flying in the west. Cseries to arrive in 2015.
Who would really know, I suspect you don't, I knpow I don't.

QANTAS wont worry about replacing jets with Q400's look at Rocky, Mackay and Cloncurry (formerley jet runs).
Again who knows, only time will tell. Stranger things have happened. The average passenger looks at price more than type I suspect. I know I do.

Icarus2001
15th Jun 2010, 01:12
Is this them...The Carlyle Group (http://www.carlyle.com) ?

They have a massive portfolio.

Probably not for Chevron since they specifically needed and wanted a 146 RJ 100 for Barrow Island, that has a few years to run I think.

R.Cruizo
15th Jun 2010, 02:09
What are you guys all going to do if NOTHING changes ( most likely) at all?????

Icarus2001
15th Jun 2010, 03:14
There are numerous ports that the 737 cannot go into because of the PCN. Nice rumour though. Can you name a few that are served by the 717?

Maybe Newman? Surely Port Hedland, Karratha, Kalgoorlie and Broome are fine as the 737 does service them already?

topend3
15th Jun 2010, 14:25
add Newman to that list as well after recent pavement upgrade they can support B738 as well. 90% of services to Karratha are B737 anyway...most affected port would be PBO as they have a dodgy strip...

Icarus2001
16th Jun 2010, 01:16
Australianguy would you care to elaborate?

It appears that PBO is the only port served by the 717 that could not support a 737 (maybe).

Icarus2001
18th Jun 2010, 08:52
Following a VERY expensive lunch in Melbourne today I can confirm that Carlyle do have people looking around at Cobham this week. Could be just window shopping, who knows but to say it will be a merger with Alliance is probably going a little too far.

3 Holer
2nd Aug 2010, 22:11
Refer to #2 Post :ok:

Skynews
2nd Aug 2010, 22:25
How much $$$$ is the sticking point, as usual. It certainly is dead yet.

AerocatS2A
3rd Aug 2010, 05:09
Apparently there is a blurb in the latest Australian Aviation mag about it, I haven't read it though. I've always thought FRA/Cobham could do without the charter and airline side of the company but would be surprised to see them sell off the CW contract.

727ace
4th Aug 2010, 03:37
is it true that cobham have another (4th) 146 freighter just in the country in adelaide undergoing a check !!! if so business cant be going to bad then........

Capn Bloggs
4th Aug 2010, 03:49
True (http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=99999999&searchword=cobham&submit=Search&searchphrase=exact&ordering=newest#/option=com_content&task=view&id=6137&Itemid=60).

Go the Swinebat Trash Haulers! :}

Tainlovestofly
14th Aug 2010, 18:09
They got the RJ in April I think and in June the GM told all the staff that another new RJ was arriving in July due to incredible demand and the happy customers at Chevron. Since then I've heard that yet another s coming later this year as well, but no date as yet. Chevron is loving what Cobham are doing apparently, and even asked if they'd consider doing night flights for them, but the pilots weren't too keen on that and I don't think it's going to happen.

YPJT
14th Aug 2010, 21:30
Rumour has it that discussions have taken place to put 73s into PBO but PCN is not the only major hurdle to overcome. Apron space, terminal capacity, car parking, check-in etc etc etc all stack up against it occurring.

newsensation
14th Aug 2010, 22:13
VIGI-ONE is right on the money in my book

zed583
15th Aug 2010, 00:53
wouldnt surprise me if cobham may be looking at divesting itself of the whole thing. The coastwatch contract which was the real reason they aquired Njs was supposed to be the launching pad into similar contracts in the Asia Pacific region. Sofar they have gained absolutely zero traction in that regard. The nature of this contract means they are unlikely to see any profit from coastwatch until the last few years. Given that the costs of this contract have risen significantly, ie large pilot bonuses, a decent offer from someone might be just the ticket to withdraw gracefully, as their seems very little on the horizon for special missions flying.

TBM-Legend
15th Aug 2010, 08:23
Alliance/Airwork sale dead!

missing link
15th Aug 2010, 08:45
Of the next 7 Dash 8 / 400's to arrive ................first 3 to WA!!!!!! Who will crew them is the question??????

Skystar320
16th Aug 2010, 02:58
MissingLink. Please provide proof of your claim

Section28- BE
16th Aug 2010, 09:26
Alliance/Airwork sale dead!The Carlyle buyout?????

Rgds
S28- BE

Capt Basil Brush
16th Aug 2010, 11:28
From memory, going over some landing weights at different ports a while ago, the 737-800 is OK into PBO up to about 70,000kgs or so. Normally if there are pavement limits, its either not listed - or a very light weight.

Capn Bloggs
16th Aug 2010, 11:41
There's no way a 737's going to land or takeoff over the bump at PBO. The runway wouldn't last 6 months.

flyingfox
16th Aug 2010, 15:52
Fix the bump!!!?? :hmm: ... or send in the boats!! :E ....and Skystar320; provide proof of a rumour?? This isn't a courtroom!

TBM-Legend
17th Aug 2010, 04:39
Quote:
Alliance/Airwork sale dead!
The Carlyle buyout?????

Rgds
S28- BE

That's a big YES!:ouch:

dash 27
17th Aug 2010, 07:21
Has the Alliance and Airwork deal fallen over because of a complete buyout by Carlysle, or have all the deals fallen over.
Tell me some good news!!!!!!:}:}:}

TBM-Legend
17th Aug 2010, 08:26
2nd hand quote from SM that deals are off...

dash 27
17th Aug 2010, 09:28
TBM,
Send me a PM and elaborate.
Carlysle dead too???
So what of the direction of the business now???

TWOTBAGS
17th Aug 2010, 09:55
Dasshie, cant get you on Skype, give us a call will ya mate:E

mootyman
17th Aug 2010, 13:32
I don't believe it, man with bowl cut never lets anything slip.

TBM-Legend
18th Aug 2010, 12:07
no mention or press releases on Carlyle website re Alliance etc etc. Many other announcements but not this one...:confused:

Section28- BE
18th Aug 2010, 12:39
G'day TBM

Yes you are right vis respective Press Releases- and a conditional contract in this situation is surely not unheard of............

And pending what comes- no one has put one (a release) out stating- that the deal has settled and the money changed hands- with the proponents pocketing the cash & departed for ports unknown and lives of untold luxury ....

So well done for putting what you've 'heard', be it right or wrong- here. We await as does the World with patience..........

Cheers
S28- BE

Skynews
18th Aug 2010, 22:38
Well, maybe not the "world".

R.Cruizo
19th Aug 2010, 06:27
I'm not surprised, I heard the interest in Cobham died as quick as at it started ( too many $).

I hope though this still bades well for the Alliance crew .

Bet the Fin Review reporter got most of his info off PPRUNE anyway!

3 Holer
19th Aug 2010, 09:20
I heard the interest in Cobham died as quick as at it started ( too many $).

No kidding.:rolleyes: