PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air takes delivery of brand new A330-200 aircraft

TonyWilliams
11th Jun 2010, 19:40
June 11th, 2010

Arik Air, Nigeria’s largest commercial airline, has taken delivery of its third wide-body aircraft, an Airbus A330-200 aircraft, thus increasing its fleet to 26.

The brand new aircraft, the first of two A330-200 ordered by Arik Air, arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos on Friday, June 11, 2010 direct from France. The aircraft, with registration 5N-EIA, is the first wide-body aircraft of Arik Air to carry Nigerian registration.

Announcing the arrival of the new A330-200, Arik Air’s Deputy Executive Vice President, Mr. Chris Ndulue, said the aircraft is powered by Pratt & Whitney PW 4168A engines and will offer the best possible passenger comfort in a two-class configuration.

He explained: “Our new Airbus A330-200 is the first of the two aircraft ordered by the airline and the third wide-body aircraft in our fleet. We already have two Airbus A340-500 ultra range aircraft delivered in December 2008 and May 2009.”

The new A330-200 aircraft is configured to carry 283 passengers in a two-class arrangement. Arik Air’s Senior Vice President, Commercial, Mr Suraj Sundaram explained that the airline’s brand new Airbus 330-200 aircraft, christened ‘Sultan of Sokoto’, would offer Premier Class and Economy Class. “Premier Class will have 24 seats arranged in a 2-2-2 layout, providing easy aisle access from every seat. Each seat comes equipped with a personal audio and video on-demand entertainment system enabling each guest to enjoy his or her favourite Hollywood and Nollywood movies. All seats come fitted with a laptop plug-in socket.”

The spacious and airy Economy Class cabin will have 259 seats arranged in a comfortable 2-4-2 across seat layout. Economy Class will offer a seat-back personal audio and video on-demand entertainment system. Both cabins on board the brand new Airbus 330-200 aircraft will feature relaxing mood lighting.

Mr. Sundaram disclosed that the new aircraft will be deployed on the Lagos-Johannesburg route to replace the Boeing 737-800 currently in use on the route.

The twin-engine and fuel-efficient Airbus 330-200 is one of the quietest and most environmentally friendly aircraft operating in the world today. It complies fully with airport noise restrictions and with current and future international emissions standards.

Arik Air is Nigeria’s leading commercial airline. It now operates a fleet of 26 state-of-the art regional, medium haul and long haul aircraft. The airline currently serves 21 airports across Nigeria as well as Accra (Ghana), Banjul (Gambia), Cotonou (Benin), Dakar (Senegal), Freetown (Sierra Leone), London Heathrow (UK), Johannesburg (South Africa) and New York JFK (USA).

The airline currently operates over 130 flights daily from its hubs in Lagos and Abuja.

elpilotofrances
11th Jun 2010, 20:05
When this aircraft will be flying on line carrying passengers ?????

VorlocGreen
11th Jun 2010, 20:29
I suppose it will be online flying when the "Oga" AJ decides that he will pay his pilots........What a crock of Sh1t!!!

TonyWilliams
11th Jun 2010, 20:36
Actually, the pilots for this venture, and the cabin crew, are on a different contract than the "little people" pilots in Lagos now.

The not only were paid for May, but were paid one day early. They work 20 on, 10 off, officially based in London. Paid $150 per diem while in Lagos.

The rest of the expat pilots have not been paid, work 56 on / 28 off, get no per diem while in Lagos, where they are based.

elpilotofrances
13th Jun 2010, 19:55
I have see somebody who told me there is 2 captains and 1 FO to train
For 1 airplane is not what too much ??

NaijaNinja
13th Jun 2010, 21:20
Oga AJ is in the cone of confusion overhead LAG! Someone needs to direct him on the way forward and set course for the future OR join an indefinite hold!

Trust Lagos ATC, they are so bad at giving accurate EAT! Oga, AJ, i suggest you set course o!

exeng
13th Jun 2010, 21:44
Each seat comes equipped with a personal audio and video on-demand entertainment system enabling each guest to enjoy his or her favourite Hollywood and Nollywood movies. All seats come fitted with a laptop plug-in socket.”

However unfortunately they have 'forgotten' to pay the bill for the IFE on the A340 and so if a regular traveler you will get to see your favorite movies over and over again.

Arik Air is Nigeria’s leading commercial airline Except when it comes to paying the staff.

I find it remarkable that Arik can find the means to purchase 3 brand new B737-800's, a couple of Q400's and an A330 in the past 12 months and yet have to issue an apology to expat staff saying they are having difficulty with the banks in organising foreign exchange for pay.

xluk
13th Jun 2010, 22:58
2nd A330 not arriving anytime in future, half the LHR crew been laid off after only 2 months employment (1 month of which paid 5 days late). $150 flight pay for LOS now changed to just $50, $150 only paid for JNB, thats if they pay it!

NaijaNinja
17th Jun 2010, 23:29
Moles from the regulatory body reveal that this new machine has cost Arik more than it bargained for. This extra cost is a ₦25m fine for a flight crew member whose documents were not 'proper' whilst conducting test flights on the machine! Apparently, the fine was ₦5m per sector!

Can't reveal too much.

Whatever next with the next episode of Arik-enders!

seper
18th Jun 2010, 05:39
A330 might be a bit to much capacity been thrown on LOS-JNB.

It would serve Arik better financially to dump LOS-JKF,ABV-LHR,redeploy the 330 on LOS-LHR,and leave the 738 on LOS-JNB,and sell the 340's.load factors are poor on this routes.

Then again,am only paid to fly,my advise is @#*&^%$^ as far as the J family are concerned!

qwest
18th Jun 2010, 06:51
Until Arik starts using one of the major GDS's for sales on international routes, the loads will remain poor.

Mr. Smith
18th Jun 2010, 11:43
@seper: what are the loads like on Ariks international routes?

@qwest: What would be preventing Arik from using a GDS? Some sort of qualification or permit or did they just choose not to?

Oyindo
18th Jun 2010, 15:15
₦25m fine for a flight crew member whose documents were not 'proper' whilst conducting test flights on the machine! Apparently, the fine was ₦5m per sector!

Thinking of the Arik B737 intercept over France a while ago, the pilots were made to pay for the intercept from their wages by Mr AJ.

I do hope the crew concerned will not be made to pay this fine too, what incompetence.

Oba1kanobe
18th Jun 2010, 15:34
Does anybody know who might be the guilty party? There's one A330 pilot who wears 5 stripes on his jacket????

xluk
18th Jun 2010, 17:30
LOS-JFK loads as low as 12 pax!
LOS-LHR loads around the 90 pax mark!
Both routes always 100+ spare seats.
A330 not due to fly anytime soon, crew having to attend futher training at NCAA intruction, I belive.

DragRequired
18th Jun 2010, 20:26
[QUOTE]Does anybody know who might be the guilty party? There's one A330 pilot who wears 5 stripes on his jacket????[QUOTE]

Shall I say he is a certain Dr. Capt. Canadian Ex CRJ, Get the Picture ?:E

Oyindo
18th Jun 2010, 21:34
Got caught out by the French authorities for operating with an expired medical, details been kept hush hush

NaijaNinja
18th Jun 2010, 21:50
Full marks for your answer, i love the 'Ex CRJ' term, that makes him so visible he can't hide now.

NaijaNinja
18th Jun 2010, 21:54
The French Mig incident involved locals, this A330 incident is with a foreigner, it would be interesting to see how AJ intends to recoup his cheddar from this famous cowboy!

Oyindo
18th Jun 2010, 22:36
It would be interesting to see how AJ intends to recoup his cheddar from this famous cowboy!

Dr Capt RH Zebra should be made to pay up, p@mpou$ git. He is also lining himself up for every trainer position possible on the 330, without having any experience at all on an Airbus. Good luck to him :ok:

Oba1kanobe
19th Jun 2010, 03:41
He wasnt typed was he now?

I was told that he had completed the Airbus course for the 330, but did not have the actual type on any ATPL. Just a nice congratulation paper from Airbus that you can hang on the wall. Of course, that may have been wrong, or been officially completed since that rumor.

It seems hard to believe that he wouldn't have a medical, since they are FREE to him.

But, I have seen the pictures of the Zebra jacket !!!! One thing is certain... every pilot at Arik knows Doctor / Captain / Technical Pilot / Acting Fleet Manager / Zero Time on Boeing - Airbus - HeavyJet / Zebra pilot RH.

I think he's destined to be MD !!!!!!

Jumbo744
19th Jun 2010, 04:18
I've heard of that guy lol! was he flying for an airline in the gulf before Arik?

seper
19th Jun 2010, 07:03
MR SMITH,XLUK has pretty much summed it up,though ABV-LHR,is the worst,sometimes more or less empty.

Summary is all long haul flights in ARIK rarely avg 20-25% load factors,when analyzed over a period of say a month,example is a LOS-JNB flight two days before world cup started with 40 pax thereabouts??????

Its simply setting fire to cash literally speaking!

Their strengths are in local eastern routes, and ok on others.

Oyindo
19th Jun 2010, 07:51
was he flying for an airline in the gulf before Arik? No! not the same person.

There are more competent Captains currently operating within Nigerian Aviation and have at least flown the Airbus 340 with some decent time on it.
Arik should head hunt these individuals, at least it will be better than having Doctor / Captain / Technical Pilot / Acting Fleet Manager / Zero Time on Boeing - Airbus - HeavyJet / Zebra pilot RH.
I think he's destined to be MD !!!!!! in-charge. I am sure he will make a great MD. :eek: How can someone hold so many positions at once within a company. Jokers :confused:

Heard the CP may have resigned his post, is there any truth to that? sad if true

DragRequired
19th Jun 2010, 10:34
Heard the CP may have resigned his post, is there any truth to that? sad if true

Yep is it true...he has put in his resignation. Effective end of this month but will be acting for three months until replacement is found...Very sad....Victor is a all round fair guy. One of the best C.P.'s I have had the privilege to work with. Maybe next C.P. might be the Zebra, Chiropractor..RH...lol

Oyindo
19th Jun 2010, 11:46
Yep is it true...he has put in his resignation. Effective end of this month but will be acting for three months until replacement is found...Very sad....Victor is a all round fair guy. One of the best C.P.'s I have had the privilege to work with.

The attrition rate of post holders in Arik should be a cause for concern. How can the NCAA continue to allow a company to operate like this?

Dr M is no better than Mr AJ, very difficult persons to work for. It must have feel like pulling bad teeth out :} with out a local anesthetic working in Arik management.

Descent bloke the ex CP is (he stood up, for all the pilot work force), at least he can get some sort of normality back to his life without AJ or Dr M treating him like $hit. Surely they deserve the likes of RH, hope he takes them to the cleaners with his boo boo’s and maybe one day it will sink in that oyinbo is not very thing. Continue burn the cash, not that they care

DownIn3Green
19th Jun 2010, 20:26
Where is Oscar when you need him???

Oba1kanobe
19th Jun 2010, 21:50
There are more competent Captains currently operating within Nigerian Aviation and have at least flown the Airbus 340 with some decent time on it.
Arik should head hunt these individuals, at least it will be better than having

Why would they want to come here to Arik? For the low pay... when they feel like paying it? For the arrogant leadership? (except all the empty posts !!!!) For the shaky future (let's face it... empty long haul won't go on forever)?

No, I say they should stay at Emirates, or whatever world class airline they might be at now, or stay home and enjoy retirement. But don't come here.

Vortex Thing
19th Jun 2010, 22:14
Oyindo and DragRequired are you high. The CP going is one of the best things that could ever happen to Arik. If he is the best CP you have ever worked for then you need to get out more!

The MDs and DFOs that have come and gone have been shells, mere figureheads. Yes they were AOC post holders in the eyes of the NCAA but with the exception of the last MD (JH) none of them did much apart from jump when told and ask when they could come down. All of the work done behind the scenes on making Arik what it is today was done by senior Arik captains mostly unrewarded or acknowledged.

The CP is the reason that many of the hard working pilots of Arik who have left leave without giving any notice as they know that he does not honour agreements, is underhand and vindictive. He is one of the worst managers at Arik (and that takes some doing) and is about as popular as a dose of something a South African fishwife would give you with most of the expats.

Quote unquote one XXL pilot in his resignation his resignation was purely due to being unable to work with the "aggressive nature and manner" of Capt VE.

Woefully inadequate and equipped for the role would be a compliment for Capt VE. Good riddance, his departure may signal a turn around for Arik as someone may come along to stem the now flood of us who can take little more!

Sitting on the fence VT

9jarep
20th Jun 2010, 03:08
Vortex some analysis here:8 we are getting some balanced rumors:hmm:

onefatpilot
21st Jun 2010, 13:09
Vortex Thing did you recently depart from Arik air? Also hearing that the 777 deal is as good as dead and that they are looking at acquiring 2 ex virgin atlantic a340-300s...we shall wait and see

Vortex Thing
21st Jun 2010, 20:30
Nope not me I'm afraid. I'm still at Arik for my sins. Looking like most others and doubt that myself and many others will be left in a few rotations but for now still doing the Lagos thing.

I heard about the A340 thing and have also heard whispers of B77 being pushed back but re Airbus I heard that they were Kingfisher cancelled orders again but in a slightly higher density config than our current ones.

There is even a rumour on the street that when the HiFly contract comes up the current A340-500s will come over to the 5N reg as well. So there will be 4x A340s and 1x A330. Personally if I were a betting man I don't think we will ever see wide-body Boeings at LOS or ABV there is almost too much investment in Airbus now but stranger things have happened with our management.

Has anyone in Toulouse or London or elsewhere in the know got any gen on this?

Gidigba
21st Jun 2010, 22:55
'Oyindo and DragRequired are you high. The CP going is one of the best things that could ever happen to Arik. If he is the best CP you have ever worked for then you need to get out more! '????:{
Vortex thing;
You could not have been more correct about VE,The hero worship thing is obviously from da boys who believe they owe him for thier progress,He started part of da **** he is now tryn to run away from,what goes around comes ******* around.If theres a medal for the biggest attitudinal arsehole CP he definitely would have won it.Good ******* riddance to bad rubbish :E:(:mad:

NaijaNinja
21st Jun 2010, 23:18
Where are you? PM me.

Circle
22nd Jun 2010, 10:30
If it is true, about this Arik Air 330 King pin, i suggest the Ncaa ask him to leave Nigeria having paid, his fine, i imagine his ATPL is already suspended
Given that he flew a 5N registered airplane without a valid licence, which might mean he had no current medical certificate,or 330 endorsement,or wavier from the authority,to fly these demonstration flights.......hence i imagine the fine.
Where do these guys arrive from ? it has been mentioned he worked with the canadian CRJ builders.....hmmmm.
Well the world is watching what the Nigerian authorities will do here.
Arik Air which appears to have no management structure, have surely been lead up the garden path, with this pilot.
DONT THEY CHECK OUT PILOTS......... ?

onefatpilot
22nd Jun 2010, 13:21
Word from Arik central is that Cpt RH Zebra is being hailed as the saviour of the Arik air A330 project by Dr M......all this after basically flying around Africa illegally:ugh::=.....I wonder what position he would get if he were to crash the aircraft....MD? DFO?:} who knows......we await the return of the king to see what will really happen.....

Oyindo
22nd Jun 2010, 17:38
VE broke up the mafia during the early years of Arik (sandi, spandi and all the rest) from grabbing everything for themselves thus oppressing the natives, he at least he tried spreading it around.

If an Anglo Saxon airline were to be invaded like Arik has been, I am sure the locals with the unions would marched them all out the door in quick order.

VT count your self lucky to have a job and please don’t keep sitting on the fence. Get right in the thick of things and straighten Arik out if you dare, that is if you can hack it, if not Europe awaits you.

It seems you expats still bugger things up, RH should make you all very proud (EXPERTS) at least he should be out of the picture for a few months. The NCAA has been very lenient with him.

Gidigba you must be really pi$$ed of with VE (the bold lettering speaks millions) now that VE is taking a bow, you might get that position you have been craving for, try for CP don't be shy.

Gidigba
22nd Jun 2010, 19:17
@Oyindo,Really?If wishes were horses beggars will fly,unfortunately i do not share the good fortune of working for AJ's esteemed airline where salaries are always on time and equal rights are enjoyed by all,regardless of the colour of their skins,You might go foe VE's job if you care,but sometimes the truth just stinks when it's real and not imagined,It might just help if anyone is unfortunate to be once again led by the likes of him.:8:suspect::uhoh:Eish

Oyindo
22nd Jun 2010, 19:35
unfortunately i do not share the good fortune of working for AJ's esteemed airline

Since you are an expert and have a very strong view on personalities, you don’t need to have worked for AJ to apply for the post. I am sure Arik will be privileged to have someone like you. Come on now, please give it a try, you will make the best CP the company ever had!

I beg now.

Oba1kanobe
22nd Jun 2010, 19:48
It seems you expats still bugger things up, RH should make you all very proud (EXPERTS) at least he should be out of the picture for a few months. The NCAA has been very lenient with him.

I don't hear many expats singing praise for anybody who intentionally mucks it up. Obviously, as you well know, anybody in a minority group anywhere in the world makes the entire group look bad when one screws up.

If RH was intentionally flaunting the law, and not properly licensed to operate an A330, he should have his ATPL revoked, and any validations he may have in lieu of the Nigerian ATPL.

But, we don't know (yet) what exactly transpired. But, I'm sure we all will. I don't believe RH would need an ATPL to be DFO or MD, so perhaps the doors are opening up further for him? Dr. M seems rightly satisfied; obviously RH is the man to satisfy him!

Oyindo
22nd Jun 2010, 19:55
obviously RH is the man to satisfy him!
I hope not bending over cos he sure has one massive ikebe, Mr M would truly be pleased with. :eek:

TonyWilliams
22nd Jun 2010, 21:47
Congrats to Arik pilot "Tim" and Airbus employee captain for completion of the first London to Nigeria revenue flight aboard the A330 completed 22 June 2010.

chuks
23rd Jun 2010, 06:42
I am sticking with my fave "The wheels are going to come off Arik sooner or later and probably sooner," scenario. (I just love Gloom and Doom, probably the reason I spent so long in the Centre of Excrement. Or was it the money? No, the chance to do good for my fellow man, that must have been it!)

Tell us the load factor for this revenue flight, if that isn't a secret. Also, what is Arik's break-even load factor? I have to ask because despite the shiny airplanes and the big words this looks more and more like a typical Nigerian shambles.

Re: G&D though, I sure did get it wrong with Caverton, when who should have guessed? Here I just threw out my last pair of pointy-toe shoes right when I might have needed them!

It seems like yesterday, watching VE get all frustrated trying to fire up a gasper in the RHS of our Bristow Twotter, using those cheap local matches. Proud fellow that he was, he would get so steamed that this land of bright promise couldn't even manage to make matches that caught fire when all sorts of stuff that really wasn't meant to catch fire did that anyway. "Scratch, scratch, fizzz..." try another one, same thing or else it would simultaneously burst into flame and break, threatening to set fire to his nads. He used to go through about six matches there per fag with me watching, when he knew exactly what I was thinking! Good thing it was so loud in that cockpit that he couldn't hear me laughing...

Still, he ended up flying the big birds and I ended up flying yet another Twotter so that I think we can say that every dog has his day.

Oba1kanobe
23rd Jun 2010, 07:52
Tell us the load factor for this revenue flight, if that isn't a secret.
It's not a secret, because every Nigerian ATC sector wants the persons on board advertised via public airwaves.

I'm told it was a "very light" load.

onefatpilot
25th Jun 2010, 18:39
Perhaps this is the reason for acquiring the a330....hmmmmm:suspect:

Ghana News: Accra Mail : Business Government to review management of Arik's proposal to revive Ghana Airways (http://accra-mail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18203&catid=62&Itemid=211)

westafricanair
26th Jun 2010, 10:13
With AJ's political protection in NG disappearing faster than free servings of chicken and jollof rice as JI flexes his muscles with VK, and will be totally gone by 2011, is this a desperate attempt at an exit strategy?

The bad news for AJ is that the 'REAL' Aviation Big Boys have been courting John Attah-Mills for the last few years, even before he got into power!

Why would the GH Govt. get involved with a Nigerian set up of disputed origin after they have just had to clear up the mess of the last two airline failures due to waste and corruption (alledgedly)?

You have to admire his front though. :E

Any more background from NG as to what is really going on at W3?

The Maestro
26th Jun 2010, 17:40
Tell us the load factor for this revenue flight, if that isn't a secret.

Chuks, I heard them calling for start and push from Ground Control that day. They had 104 souls-on-board, and I didn't quite catch the number of crew.

Oyindo
30th Jun 2010, 16:04
first London to Nigeria revenue flight aboard the A330 completed 22 June 2010.

Hopefully not it's last. A/C sitting on ground incurring parking fees in Lagos, come on R@ndy get your act together.

elpilotofrances
4th Jul 2010, 06:35
Aircraft making 2 flights a day : LOS Accra LOS.
Perfect for traning and fun but for RM ???

onefatpilot
9th Sep 2010, 09:11
So whats going on with the a330? is it back up and running?

Oba1kanobe
9th Sep 2010, 15:24
The A330 completed a test flight yesterday, after engine problems that left it in South Africa many weeks ago. The plane may be ferried up to LOS this evening.

The cabin crews have returned to LOS yesterday also.

dboard9
18th Sep 2010, 20:11
"http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/422609-arik-air-new-route.html"

While in Abuja in March 2010 a reliable source told me Arik's Lagos-London trips were averaging 10 revenue passengers... this was before introduction of the A330, and no promotions were planned to boost traffic.

One bizarre airline.

Oyindo
28th Sep 2010, 14:44
Things very quite on the the RH scene. Hope all is well

NaijaNinja
28th Sep 2010, 18:45
Oba1,

Heard of the hushed chanchangi-style incident with the A340 and approach lights?

Give us some insight Jedi Master.

Oba1kanobe
28th Sep 2010, 20:02
Heard of the hushed chanchangi-style incident with the A340 and approach lights?

So, they were flying the A340 to Kaduna??? :ooh: Or did they just take out the lights, pack their bags and go to the hotel, and when questioned in the morning as to why there were damaged approach lights 240 metres from the threshold, they just shrug? :sad:

As you know, anything with the A340 is largely HiFly. There are currently only two Arik pilots, one CA and one FO.

Let me ask around.

Mr. Smith
29th Sep 2010, 06:27
You sure they said the LOS-LHR route? :confused:

a reliable source told me Arik's Lagos-London trips were averaging 10 revenue passengers...

Oba1kanobe
29th Sep 2010, 13:22
On the A340 incident. They did take out five lights and had to replace four tyres on the aeroplane. It was a HiFly captain (Virgin) and the conditions were very wet runway, thunderstorm, and over 20 knots of crosswind. Did Arik forget to put that on their website? :O

DME MILOS
29th Sep 2010, 14:16
Edge lights.

BLUEJuice
29th Sep 2010, 19:42
:p

sell the plane. both of them. get rid of hifly.

NaijaNinja
29th Sep 2010, 19:44
Hmmn, so it was true then.

Oba1, where did it happen?

Oba1kanobe
30th Sep 2010, 04:53
Lagos.............

NaijaNinja
30th Sep 2010, 07:36
Hmmn, Edge Lights, now that's interesting. Must have been a lot of wind.

Question is, will HiFly give AJ a discount for this month's operations? I wonder what the contract says.

linguskaptan
6th Oct 2010, 11:45
If they do get rid of Hi-Fly, then who do you think will instead fly them? You? Another interception over France? mmmm.

18left
7th Oct 2010, 08:09
Linguskaptan

below is a list of those who can do it without interception

-all those who flew the 340 for years without interception in vk
-all those who flew the 767 for years without interception in bellview
-all those who flew the 767 for years without interception in vk
-simple type rating course,and line training to anyone,its not rocket science.

Get of the weed,if AJ chooses to waste money thats his cup of tea,but dont bs yourself into thinking,hi fly is the only one capable of doing what they do.
Hi fly is a cheap ass operator,in my own opinion,short of standards that an airline of the class Arik aspires to be.An "european chachangi"

747-2flyer
7th Oct 2010, 15:56
Hate to change the subject but does anyone know what agency is
handling the pilot recruitment?..

NaijaNinja
7th Oct 2010, 19:43
European Chanchangi, that was a good one, 18L! Are you sure you ain't the one on w..d?

Leave paddyman alone, he just wants to protect his day job, he thinks he is the best thing since Guinness!

onefatpilot
19th Aug 2012, 17:17
Arik Air Airbus A330 EI-EWH (5N-JIC) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/7808760740/in/photostream/#comments)

Rotorhead1026
19th Aug 2012, 22:01
Hate to change the subject but does anyone know what agency is handling the pilot recruitment?..

From the website:

Thank you for your interest.We are not currently recruiting.However, do please check back with us as things may change.

http://80.248.8.217:8080/arikairjobportal/vacancies.jsf

50oddfeet
24th Aug 2012, 10:47
Wonder how long it will take this one to be repossessed, anyone starting a betting book?

N707ZS
25th Aug 2012, 10:38
Some great job titles there!

elpilotofrances
30th Aug 2012, 21:21
First flight 27 October ...No in november !!!!! or later

fishpie
1st Sep 2012, 06:10
To be used on Abuja - LHR ? Don't forget them pesky maintenance payments!

Mr. Smith
5th Sep 2012, 16:39
^^^ have they sorted out the problem of slots?

chuks
5th Sep 2012, 19:35
You must mean slats. No, there's no problem with the slats, nor with the flaps.

Or are you hinting that a problem with slots may cause a flap? Surely that's nothing that the Ministress for Aviation cannot sort out quickest and in a jiffy.

Mr. Smith
6th Sep 2012, 00:44
Actually I mean slots. Fishpie was asking if they will be useing the A332 on the ABV - LHR route, but they had to stop earlier this year due to slots. So I was asking if that has been sorted out.

chuks
6th Sep 2012, 01:07
I understand. There was a big wahallah about slots a while ago that led to some sort of ministerial intervention on behalf of some poor, put-upon Nigerian airline that was the obvious victim of colonialism. That's what I was trying to make fun of following your question, which is a very fair one.

NIJASEA
7th Sep 2012, 18:15
there was no colonialism in the revoking of the ABV-LHR slot. The slot was for BMI and BA bought out BMI and decided to use the slot for another route. Then we go crying to the govt claiming unfair practices WHAT UTTER RUBBISH :=. If there are no slots to LHR why not try LGW.

ediks
19th Sep 2012, 20:51
Channels Television - Nigeria's Award Winning Television Station (http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/19/senate-committee-recommends-arik-air-as-national-flag-carrier/)

chrislikesblue
20th Sep 2012, 05:50
Are they still hiring crews? Anyone could give the contact of the chief pilot or hr person t send the application?

STN Ramp Rat
20th Sep 2012, 09:53
Arik Air Suspends Operations, Articles | THISDAY LIVE (http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/arik-air-suspends-operations/125511/)

Arik Air, Nigeria's biggest airline, Thursday morning suspended all flight operations throughout the country. Although details are still sketchy, the airline is believed to have taken the action because of some differences between it and Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN).
More details to follow...

Phone Wind
20th Sep 2012, 12:16
The grounding of Arik is causing chaos as about the only way of getting to Port Harcourt today is by Aero, which naturally is totally overbooked :ugh:. Flying on internal flights in Nigeria is a nightmare at present with the few carriers left constantly bumping passengers, delaying flights by anything up to 6 hours or cancelling altogether. Things are unlikely to improve until some business sense comes into play. Airlines like Arik are started by groups of individuals with enormous sums of money who have no clue how to run an airline, fail to employ enough people who do and then either ignore their advice or continue interfere with the day-to-day operations :ugh:. That coupled with massive inefficiency and corruption ensure that the system cannot work.

The only alternative for the long-suffering passengers is to take their chances on Nigeria's appalling roads which are plagued by terrible condition, frequent roadblocks set up by corrupt policemen and local government officials on the take and gangs of armed robbers. To be fair, there are quite a few long distance coach operators who now have fairly modern, reliable, air-conditioned buses who in many cases take no longer than flights with all the delays and cancellations. Sadly, even though they're much cheaper, many people regard them with suspicion or don't want to travel just because of the risks I've just mentioned and the discomfort of getting shaken around over the awful roads.

There seems to be little or no short or medium solution, which in Africa's most populous (and one of its richest) nation is an absolute disgrace :mad:

Evanelpus
21st Sep 2012, 10:40
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/19/senate-committee-recommends-arik-air-as-national-flag-carrier/

Can't read the link it comes up as a 404 error (shame that can't happen with all Nigerian scams!)

However, if you click the link you can see that its title is "senate committee recommends arik air as national flag carrier". I nearly peed myself. Thanks for the laugh arik, you've filled up some empty hours reading and commenting about you.

ediks
21st Sep 2012, 12:22
Things starting to look rather serious, is this a concerted effort to run Arik out of business? I hope not.
Banks Stopped From Lending Money To 113 Companies, 419 Directors (http://nigerianbulletin.com/nigerian-news/banks-stopped-from-lending-money-to-113-companies-419-directors/)

exeng
21st Sep 2012, 15:43
is this a concerted effort to run Arik out of business? I hope not

Reading the article, and another from 'This Day' it was not made clear (to me anyway!) whether the outstanding loans were to be 'called in' or the intention was to refuse any extension of credit.

Anyway I see that Aero Contractors are also listed.

If Arik and Aero were put out of business then the whole of the Nigerian economy, such as it is, would fall apart.

Certainley since the collapse of Air Nigeria etc people in high places will have observed that Arik's cash flow has improved somewhat. Is it possible that some of those people are looking for what they see as their 'slice of the action' ?

Perhaps this is just a lot of 'posturing' rather than an end game.

ediks
21st Sep 2012, 16:42
"Perhaps this is just a lot of 'posturing' rather than an end game."

To my admittedly cynical mind...........
Rumours have been circulating of a new National carrier funded by private investors for some time
Senate nominates Arik for National carrier status then,
Next day this wahala starts for Arik.
I wonder if someone is trying to wrest control from the owners??

The Ancient Geek
21st Sep 2012, 19:04
No need for fancy theories, the banks are getting worried about the massive loans that are not being repaid and the government is worried that they could easily end up having to bail out the entire banking sector.

So the banks are having to call time on the worst miscreants before it all collapses into disaster. The usual suspects are, of course, crying foul.

I expect Aric will probably make some token payments to the bank by not paying the staff and the fuel suppliers etc. In the end ARIK is a money pit and it can only end one way.

chuks
22nd Sep 2012, 15:33
My goodness! I seem to remember the early 80s, when the air taxi business was booming. Nigeria Airways was on its way down and the roads were a total mess, so that we had guys with attache cases full of naira, still worth something then, lined up trying to book flights. That sort of fell off with the rise of all those local airlines, particularly Aero who moved from small aircraft to Dash 8s and then 737s, but now the air taxi market may return. Hmm... no Avgas, so no little bug-smashers, but how about Caravans, or the Cessna 406 or even the Cessna 441?

This could become interesting....

BLUEJuice
25th Sep 2012, 02:57
Arik Air owes us over N7 billion -- FAAN - YouTube (http://youtu.be/gaU9YYA2Rx0)

Stella caught with her fat fingers in the cookie tin??? He states "HOGWASHHHH!!!! ":rolleyes:

At least he realizes Arik cannot pass a smell test in anyones kitchen!!:ok:

27ace
25th Sep 2012, 05:05
Very true indeed. If one asks for a 5% stake of an airline owing billions then that means they are already out of pocket to the tune of the 5 % of the billions owed. It is hardly likely that Arik will ever make any profit in the next 10 years. So does it make any sense to allege the ministers wanted a 5 % share?
I think someone was out to change the focus of what this is all about! Sadly, a lot of airlines think that they can run without ever paying any bills, repaying the banks the loans they have, or even paying their workers. Why? Because every person thinks we MUST have an airline at any cost. I say shut down the airline, sell the assets and pay the debts.
In a free market economy someone will come in and meet the demand, and having seen other airlines close down, may actually have a workable business plan, and more likely, PAY THEIR BILLS.

BLUEJuice
26th Sep 2012, 04:38
I like this chap.
Arik Air owes us over N7 billion -- FAAN - YouTube (http://youtu.be/gaU9YYA2Rx0)

Stella caught with her fat fingers in the cookie tin??? He states "HOGWASHHHH!!!! ":rolleyes:

At least he realizes Arik cannot pass a smell test in anyones kitchen!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

As of late it looks as if ARIK has taken the Primary School approach to the matter at hand. By barring the chap that spoke honestly...

Perhaps Arik is succeptable to the pressures of the Presses? :hmm:
Here's the latest quabble showing the classic schoolhouse actions of West Africa's Largest Airline (some of those blacklisted are deserving:)

Arik Air declares FAAN MD persona non-grata
[URL][URL="http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=42f394b61811e0706a7b85400a00eeea33fb9626"] E-mail (http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/48217-arik-air-declares-faan-md-persona-non-grata?tmpl=component&print=1&page=)
Written by Shola Adekola Wednesday, 26 September 2012

THE face-off between the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and Arik Air over the latter’s indebtedness reached its peak on Tuesday, when the management of the airline blacklisted the Managing Director of the FAAN, Mr George Uriesi.

It will be recalled that workers union in the industry had, last week, disrupted operations of Arik Air at the General Aviation Terminal over the indebtedness of the airline to agencies of government totaling N18 billion.

Out of the amount, FAAN was owed N7.077 billion.

Following the protest by the unions, Arik announced the shutdown of its domestic operations.

Later, a meeting of all parties concerned were held at the instance of the Minister of Aviation, Mrs Stella Adaeze-Oduah, where peace was brokered.

On Friday, as a result of the truce, the chief executives of all the three major agencies, led by the Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr Harold Demuren, addressed a press conference, announcing the truce, having discussed with leaders of the union on the need to let peace reign in the industry, while efforts were being made to recover debts owed by Arik, only for the industry to be awash today with the news of the blacklisting of the FAAN Managing Director,Uriesi.

In the list obtained on Tuesday, the personal-non grata list had Uriesi topping the list of 27 people with reasons for their being barred from patronising Arik “permanently.”

While various reasons were adduced by Arik Air for taking such decisions, it only adduced “management decision” for the blacklist, while it also gave September 24, 2012 as the effective date of Mr Uriesi’s blacklist.

When the news of the blacklist of the FAAN MD filtered through on Monday, an Arik official vehemently denied, saying “that will be petty on the part of any airline to have done.”

But the list, which eventually got to journalists, confirmed that indeed Arik Air management blacklisted the FAAN boss.

Another person on the list is one Mr Omojuwa J. Japhet, who the airline claimed to have lost his ipad “on our flight in June,12. Since then, he has resorted to posting damaging things about Arik Air on Twitter and some other social media sites. All efforts to pacify him proved abortive.”

Others were blacklisted for having engaged Arik staff in one brawl or another at the check-in counters for various reasons.

They included Mr Victor Ogbondah Elo; Lawal Lateef; Obayomi Osoba; Obiriki James; Guanah Raymos; Moulim Boubacal; Moussa Baba; Al-Laranma and one Ibrahim (a Somalian).

Others were Warsame Ahmed Adbukadir (Somalian); Abdelrahman Wala Eldin (Sudanese); Mohammed Murtada Awad Alla Hamad-Sudanese (Briton); Bakare Lanre; Miss Davies-Fasan Adesola; Ejilasisi Kudirat Abike; Musa Azeez-Arisekola; Adesugba Sijuade Adekoya and Oluseye Yakubu Idowu.

Also on the list were Olomiwe Peter Chukwu; Nwachukwu Austin; Orji Dniel Ikechukwu; Uzoh Himan; Adesanya David; Ikukoyi Olufemi Olukay and Grace Nkiruka Guobadia.