PDA

View Full Version : Pening Systems on a 742 plus costs please?

wannabe-aviator
11th Jun 2010, 11:30
Hi folks

I hope all are well, just wondering if any loadmasters around can give me a ball park figure of how many live pigs or sheeps I can carry on a 747-200F give or take a ball park figure would be appreciated if average weight is 35kgs each, also were can one get a pening systems for such a flight and how much would one be charged for such a system, based on a 1000 mile sector.

I was recently told that on a IL76 you are able to carry up to 1000 Sheeps but I found that number to be somewhat high but then again I was assured of that figure, if thats the case can one assume that the 742 can carry in excess of 1400 sheeps give or take 15%, I know there was a post some months back about carrying pigs but I couldnt find it on the search function so appologies ahead of time, thanks and I hope you can help.

many safe landings
WA:ok:

G&T ice n slice
11th Jun 2010, 14:35
oohhh lawd,
from the very back of the memory stacks
3-tier systems is 30+30+20 at weight quoted (35 kg)

Mind you, that seems a bit low for pigs ?

until CR2 gets back from whatever sunny location (complete with beach & hot & cold running beach-bunnies) he's at...****

you may get some help from Instone Aviation, if they still exist - they used to run all sorts of wierd & woderful animal charters and I think they hold their own complete aircraft sets of livestock pens

***what am I talking about, we're freight people so it's probably dark, wet, cold & generally miserable

CargoMatatu
11th Jun 2010, 14:46
Used to carry 600 sheep on a 707 some years ago.

45 to a pen.

Based on that, you should be able to get around 1300 (or more) on a 747 main deck.

Be ready for PLENTY of amonia, though! They do pass a lot of water; and it's corosive, you know! :(

muduckace
11th Jun 2010, 21:21
Personal experience, some genious figured out that pigs were short enough to stack on top of each other. Pigs expell alot of heat and HALF of that MD-11 landed with BACON behind the smoke curtain and a flight crew who allmost declared an emergency due to the temperature in the cockpit.

Weight is not your limiting factor.

wannabe-aviator
11th Jun 2010, 22:38
Thanks for the inpt guys its appreciated, so one can safely assume that on the main deck of a 742F that up to 1300 sheeps at 35kgs each can be placed using a special pening system do you know were one can buy or borrow sush a system?

Also with regards to operational fuel can one assume that 10 tonnes will be required for Taxi fuel and up to 30 tonnes of trip fuel will be used for a 1000 mile sector or 1hr flight time assuming favourable variable such as weather etc etc am I correct in my assumtions in fuel burns on a 742? any input on this will also be appreciated.

many safe landings

unwashed
12th Jun 2010, 04:16
3000 lbs for taxi. Depending (PW's for this one) on the motors 30000 lbs an hour for the first two hours and 25000 lbs and hour there after. I would expect for a 1000 mile sector 75000 lbs should due the trick. As the gentlemen have suggested heat and smell are your biggest issues. I would figure on two hours block for 1000 miles

wannabe-aviator
12th Jun 2010, 12:26
Hello Unwashed

Thanks for that one, its brilliant the difference between either side of the pond with the use of Lbs and KGs, but your calculations and indications are much appreciated, would you know any good providers for the pening systems?

many safe landings

unwashed
12th Jun 2010, 14:10
I personally do not, but will ask around and see what the fellas may know.

wannabe-aviator
12th Jun 2010, 20:47
Unwashed

Many thanks again for the help its very much appreciated, hopefully we can get some info through you or anyone else thanks again.

Many safe landings

firepoint
29th Jun 2010, 08:18
What I know is the air flow condition is a big restriction of live animal carriage.

Sorry I don't have figure of B742F but as far as I know the limit of live pig/horse caarige on B744F is about 70tons, net weight.
Say each pig weighing around 50kgs, so each aircraft can carry about 1400 heads.

I handled three pig charters in 2008, each charter carried over 1000 heads live pig.

Refer to the taxiing fuel, it's subject to how long the taxing from parking bay to departure runway will be.

Generally, many carriers regulate the average taxing fuel for load sheet generation purpose, sometimes will be 1000Kgs, but other carriers set as 1800kgs or less, which is always different from actual fuel combustion.