PDA

View Full Version : Conditional DA

MONK
11th Jun 2010, 01:13
Hi Everyone

Would anyone know what is a CONDITIONAL DA on an ILS eg. Launceston ILS LOC 32L?

Thank you for any replies.

gurney42
11th Jun 2010, 01:51
suspect it may have a lot to do with tower hours and no active atis. (QNH)

Red Jet
11th Jun 2010, 02:01
A CONDITIONAL DA (or MDA) means that there is a CONDITION associated with using the Conditional Minimum. You HAVE TO then hunt for the condition, printed usually somewhere on the chart itself. I don't have the Launy Charts on hand (so you obviously have to verify this), but from memory it is associated with a higher minima in the absence of an ACTUAL QNH, such as when the tower man is home sleeping. Good luck:) on your exam.

43Inches
11th Jun 2010, 02:31
The 32L ILS at Launy has a shaded S-I minima box so it may be reduced by 100ft when an accurate QNH is available (ATIS, AWIS outside tower hours). It also has an additional note that the visibility may be reduced to 0.8km (cat I minima other requirements met also) from 1.2km if an actual QNH is obtained.

QNH from TAF DA is 850(302) and 1.2km vis
QNH from approved source DA is 750(202) and 0.8km vis

This all assumes you and your aircraft can use these minima.

For instance are the HIALS activated with the AFRU+PAL after hours?

I am interested whether this is a Jeppesen term or CASA. AIP/DAP don't mention conditional DA/MDA and I don't have a set of Jepps at hand.

Icarus53
11th Jun 2010, 04:09
You also see "Conditional" minima used where terrain clearance in the missed approach requires a higher than normal climb performance. In such a case, a DA/MDA for standard climb gradient is published, but may be reduced conditional upon being able to maintain a higher climb rate in the missed approach.

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Jun 2010, 05:33
An advantage of SE IFR is that a SE aircraft can generally meet the minimum rate of climb requirements for a missed approach, and in the event of an engine failure, minimum climb requirements a thing you don't have to worry yourself about. :E

Dr :8

AerocatS2A
11th Jun 2010, 06:31
Hmm, and if you just lose a cylinder or two, what then Dr?

The Green Goblin
11th Jun 2010, 07:53
Hmm, and if you just lose a cylinder or two, what then Dr?

I suspect the missed approach minimum climb gradient won't be something you will be concerning yourself with in this situation :eek:

Wally Mk2
11th Jun 2010, 08:00
A SE App in the Poo is shear madness Dr:E You have a missed App Clb gradient as well for yr A/C type(SE) just like everyone else only trouble is its' DOWNWARD!!!
AS for cond Miss App? Well the answers from well informed guys/gals are already at hand here:ok:

Wmk2