PDA

View Full Version : Dvi- Hdmi?

tony draper
10th Jun 2010, 21:48
Not exactly puter but here goes, my puter graphic card has a DVI socket out my new pute rmonitor has a DVI in just had a look at bros television it has a DVI input,what's he difference between DVI and HDMI? is there such a thing as a adapter to marry them tother? or are HDMI and DVI totally different beasts?
The reason I ak is one is concidering buying Bro Draper a dvd Hard recorder,which has a HDMI output but his telly only has the afore mentioned DV1 socket in,obviously I could connect em up using the scart but this progressie scan component video thingy is so much better than just the basic video connection
:)

Parapunter
10th Jun 2010, 21:53
HDMI to DVI Cables and DVI to HDMI Cables - Cable Universe (http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cable/hdmi-to-dvi-dvi-to-hdmi-cables/)

tony draper
10th Jun 2010, 22:02
Thank you Mr P you are a diamond,:ok: I think I read summat about DVI and HDMI a while back but one's memory only goes back a week or so now so one had to re ask.
Another question if one may be allowed,why does my new posh putor monitor and my Graphic card have these connections?,is it superior to the normal VGA puter to monitor connection?,a dvi to dvi lead came with the Monitor but I used the normal VGA connection because one was familiar with it.
:)

Parapunter
10th Jun 2010, 22:44
I think so. IIRC HDMI carries hd video & audio & DVI carries only hd video, but I'm hazy on this & quite possibly wrong. One of the brains dept. will be along to correct me presently.

Bushfiva
11th Jun 2010, 06:47
Pretty much correct. DVI can carry analog and digital video, plus USB. The connectors can be analog-only, digital-only, no USB, or everything. HDMI carries digital video plus up to 8 channels of audio. If your setup has HDCP (i.e. copy protection), then you need to use HDMI to the display device.

VERY roughly, HDMI in its various incarnations = more video bandwidth, carries audio, talks more deeply with devices it is connected to, and supports copy protection (without which you may not be allowed to display a full-resolution image).

You can spend many a happy hour dicking around with the various connectors and standards, especially if you bought your kit at different times. HDMI versions increment roughly every 2 years.

Loose rivets
11th Jun 2010, 08:24
So, DVI will not carry the simulated HD that Tony alludes to? ....................Up-Convert they seem to call it in TX.

I've found Up-Convert so good that I haven't bothered with Blue Ray.

Bushfiva
11th Jun 2010, 11:28
DVI and HDMI can both handle high HDTV-like bandwidths. In Mr D's case, using a DVI cable might offer a slightly better picture, and depending on the monitor, it might send more details about itself to the PC.

Re adapters, the signals that are common between DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible, so adapters are cheap and plentiful. But you have to get audio from one device to the other using a different route, since there's no audio on DVI.

Sprogget
11th Jun 2010, 11:36
Which is what I do on my setup. Hdmi out of the graphics card to the tv & a seperate source out of my creative sound card to a cambridge soundworks 5.1 system. Works brilliantly well.