PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Sponsor Girlfriends?

AirlineNew
10th Jun 2010, 15:43
Hey Guys,

My boyfriend currently has a cadetship with Cathay Pacific, is it true that even as just his girlfriend, Cathay will sponsor me to live there?

jonathon68
10th Jun 2010, 15:57
No it is not true...

However, there are a number of options such as properly qualifying yourself as an English Language teacher in the meanwhile, assuming you do not already have a professional qualification/experience to get a job in Hong Kong in your own right.

Where there is a will, there is a way....

AirlineNew
10th Jun 2010, 16:09
How do you know its not true, if you don't mind me asking? Are you a Cathay Pilot?

Neptunus Rex
10th Jun 2010, 17:06
My Dear Miss Guided,

I doubt very much that your boyfriend's esteemed employer would sponsor anything that would cost them a cent.

joejet
10th Jun 2010, 17:16
I don't think most pilots have tried to get sponsorship for their girlfriends. Mostly because their wives would get upset!:8

T-Mass
10th Jun 2010, 20:16
if by "sponsoring" you mean will CX file a work permit for you in hkg, then no. if by "sponsoring" you mean will CX pay you to live in hkg, as in a housing allowance, then HELL NO.

btw, why not just ask your boyfriend, he probably can get an official answer for you so you don't have to rely on anonymous posters on pprune?

rick.shaw
10th Jun 2010, 22:58
AirlineNew.

The posts above are very much correct. Unless you are married, CX and the immigration department will treat you as two seperate entities. De facto relationships are not recognised either.

If he is on a Cadetship, then he will get no housing allowance and the starting salary is a little meagre(AUD61K per annum minus 16% tax) - especially if he is supporting one or more extra people and having to pay rent out of that.

The advice above about getting some sort of useable qualification(e.g. teaching English as a second language) is a great idea. Although you may not be able to get a work permit, some people work anyway to earn some money under the table. But, be very carefull.

hongkongfooey
11th Jun 2010, 11:38
Welcome to paradise sweetheart ;)

T-Mass
12th Jun 2010, 04:28
Shhh! Let her have her moment.

Vijay Fernandez
12th Jun 2010, 05:00
Love leaps all bariers:ok:

T-Mass
12th Jun 2010, 05:18
According to my wife: not.

hongkongfooey
13th Jun 2010, 11:44
According to my wife: not

Ask the plethora of guys up here on No 2 or 3, apparently not according to a lot of wives ;)

Flaps10
13th Jun 2010, 21:54
We tried the visitor visa renewal every 90 days for just over two years. It (and Hong Kong) got old pretty quick as I am now here in HK all by myself. :ugh:

CokeZero
14th Jun 2010, 18:57
Cathay is sponsoring girlfriends???? Cool Can I sign up for a dark haired beauty - say 5ft 7 with green eyes and a lovely personality?

Just tell me when and where I can pick her up and I'm there :) Do I get a refund if she's broken? 30 yr right or return???

Looking forward to this

Bob Hawke
15th Jun 2010, 03:21
Not to poke a hole in this topic, but what about gay partners? :}

Virtual Reality
15th Jun 2010, 03:59
One of ex-Oasis DECs should be able to answer that Q ...........:E

VR :cool:

Fly747
15th Jun 2010, 05:34
Flaps, how can you be on your own in Hong Kong? AirlineNew needs to know that our intrepid new joiner will have no problem finding a variety of LBFMs any time she loses sight of him.

crwjerk
16th Jun 2010, 09:32
why is the girlfriend on PPUNE asking this??? It's because bf wouldn't dare ask!!!! Little Brown Fuc*ing Machines...... in case you were wondering....;)

Cpt. Underpants
16th Jun 2010, 09:50
...and I thought LBFM was London Based Fleet Manager!

So THAT'S what she meant!!!

parabellum
16th Jun 2010, 23:54
What ever happened to the PBR bit?

(LBFM powered by rice).

kmagyoyo
17th Jun 2010, 02:18
Thank your lucky stars your not in Ireland worrying about RHSBFNF.

Fenwicksgirl
26th Jun 2010, 08:20
Airlinenew, i hope you wont mind sharing a 500 sqft flat in the middle of nowhere with 5 of your boyfriend's classmates.
Oh they didn't tell you, you were not going to get any housing allowance???