PDA

View Full Version : Depression

Bluenose
9th Jan 2001, 13:28
Hi there,

Before I begin, I want to apologize to those who have done this topic to it's death. However, because of the search option not being available I hope you can bear with me!

I am a wannabe, who is just about to embark on a PPL as part of the long road to the pointy end of an airliner. However, I have been told that I have mild/medium depression by my GP. Is this as serious an issue that I think? I would like to know...

1) Is this going to be a major sticking point in any future career?

2) Will this question be raised by the CAA?

3) Do I keep quiet, take the pills and carry on? I am loathe to do this however as the rules are there for a reason. I am a firm believer in safety above all else and wouldn't want to jeopardize this by my ignorance.

At the moment, any help would be gratefully received.

All the best,

Bluenose

Mustbee
9th Jan 2001, 18:03
Blue nose

I think I am right in saying that you will have to speak to the CAA about it before you go for your medical. I understand that they treat every case on it's own merits.

Good luck

SID555
12th Jan 2001, 21:22
Sorry but if you are taking pills you can't do your PPL. Disappointing I know but I am in the same position as you. You can not hold any JAA/CAA medical cert Class 1/2 if you are taking anti-depressants.

You will have to wait until you are off them until you can hold a medical and you need to be of them for a period of time before you can be granted a medical. Also you should not use this as a reason to come off them too soon because that is what I did and I paid the price

This disease is becoming more and more common among young people - largely because of technology, stresses of modern life etc. In all cases the causes are multi-factorial and include genetics, personality, life circumstances and of course stress.

The symptoms are not compatible with flying - memory loss, cocentration problems, fatigue, mental and physical slowness. On the other hand a pilot could be safe on medication as the symptoms are treated but traditionally anti depressants have caused drowsiness (although SSRIs usually do not) - but for the moment you can forget about holding a medical while taking them, sorry.

On the upside, this problem is becoming more understood and it does not mean that you can't be a pilot. Lots have suffered and many suffer from it and go undiagnosed and untreated sadly as they know it will have a negative impact on their career if a Doc diagnoses them with it.

A relative of mine who is a Doctor recently told me I should not try to become a pilot having suffered depression - but, b0ll0x to that I say - it's now so common that over the next ten to twenty years this stupid social stigma that is attached to it will gradually go away, as it already is doing.

Mustbee is right - the CAA do take each case on its own merits, as do BA - but only after full recovery and cessation of medication. Cases where a medical would not be granted ould include the more severe illnesses with the presence of psychosis etc.

Good luck - if you want any more info on this drop me an email. [email protected]

Shrink
21st Jan 2001, 17:30
Actually, judging from some of the threads on this Forum over the years, Bluenose, you'd fit into this profession just fine!
Two texts you might like to borrow from a library, or purchase, are;
"Choice Theory" Dr William Glasser ISBN 0-06-019109-0
and "Prozac Backlash" Dr Joseph Glenmullen ISBN 0-684-86001-5
reading BOTH would be a wise investment in time and money for anyone suffering from depression taking SSRI's who wants to start making more appropriate life choices.