PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth moving UK-UAE ??

super aviator
10th Jun 2010, 13:22
Hi

Ive just lost my job and am looking for something new, Ive got 14 yrs experience from ramp agent to checkin, CLP - Aircraft Dispatch etc

As there are not many jobs in the UK right now I found myself looking at EY & EK.... ive applied for EY loadmaster and got a missed call from them so far.. woohoo and was thinking about applying for EK ground dispatcher??

My question to anyone who has applied or works for EK/EY is it worth making the move ?? the salaries are never advertised and im guessing the jobs are not high enough to warrant schooling allowances//hosuing if you have a young family.... I know a few years back EK had alot of europeans/Aussies etc
Do they recruit more from India/Philippines/Pakistan these days ??

Cheers
SA

desertopsguy
14th Jun 2010, 11:16
Since there are no other takers I'll chime in...

Moving to the sandpit is a big deal, especially for your family. It will be a culture shock. Even at that it wouldnt be so bad if you could get it over and done with in one swoop but living here is a series of shocks that come out of nowhere. You are just getting used to your new life and then all of a sudden some stupid rule, some incident etc etc, you learn to take it in your stride...sort of.

As for ramp jobs in UAE, they mostly recruit from 3rd world so an English rampy/redcap would probably be a rare sight these days. Alot of the western expat types are mostly to be found in the flightdeck/cabin/engineering & mx and in management circles. I have never ever seen one at check/ramp etc.

There are some westerners in OCC/Flt dispatch but you need to have a flight dispatcher licence and even with that the salaries arent amazing.

All in all it will ultimately depend on the package and that will dictate whether the numbers add up for you. If it's acceptable to you I would suggest you spend a while there by yourself before moving the family over.

There is also the issue of the dollar peg. As all currencies here (with exception of Kuwaiti) are pegged to the USD, when it tanks, as it has done alot of in the past few years, then your savings are impacted. Lately it hasn't been too bad.

The sandpit isn't for everyone and there is a long running joke about coming here with 2 buckets; one for **** and one for cash and when one of the 2 is filled up; it's time to go back home.

Good luck.