PDA

View Full Version : Low flying over private property

goldox
10th Jun 2010, 11:48
I was wondering what laws/policies are in place, if any, regarding gliders, balloons, microlights etc. flying low over peoples houses and gardens.

I am prompted to ask this after noticing a big increase in these flying over my neighbourhood in Oxfordshire, they must get a pretty good view of what's going on in peoples private houses and gardens.

To be honest I am not that much bothered myself (I am usually watching THEM via high-powered binoculars anyway), and I usually give a cheery wave from my garden and often get one in return (even from my bedroon window recently!! That could be dodgy!!)

I notice there was much discussion on this topic on a forum for Newbury, Berks residents and the question of invasion of privacy, snooping, noise pollution and disturbance was brought up but no-one seemed to know what actual regulations were in place, or what to do if someone was deliberately circling overhead after being signalled to "please go away"... as was reported there.

This is a genuine question please, I'm not wanting to start a slanging match, thanx.

PAPI-74
10th Jun 2010, 12:03
I was told by the CAA many years ago "do it low, do it fast, do it once and don't come back".

Always works for me - keeping fast allows you to climb it the doink fails or you hit a bird - as well as keeping eyes off the reg.:cool:
Rule of thumb - if you can see the reg with the naked eye, it is about 500' away (150m). Take a pic with a 35mm lens (no zoom) and if the reg is visable, the pilot will have some explaining to do.
Good in a Super Cub over naturist sites.:ok:

Look up Rule 5 of the ANO.

If they are coming into land or doing a PFL, you can't touch them really. A PFL has to be realistic and that can only occur by flying below 500'.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/503/AnnualProsecutionResultsfrom01042008to31052009.pdf

http://www.oatmedia.com/Patches/AirLawAmendment.pdf

2high2fastagain
10th Jun 2010, 12:17
Have a look at this (CAP393). It's a big document, but search for Rules 5 and 6 in Section 3. This will tell you what's allowed.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf

If you are disturbed by low flying aircraft, the best and quickest way to deal with it is to note the registration (which will usually be on the wing or else prominently displayed on balloons etc) and ring the nearest aerodrome. They will usually hunt down the miscreant and prevent a reoccurrence. There's usually no need for heavy action. All airfields want to be good neighbours.

goldox
10th Jun 2010, 12:25
Thanx for your replies - very interesting and informative especially the 500 feet rule.

As I said I am not bothered myself, well maybe by the very noisy Police helicopter which hovers near my house some nights! Obviously exempt, and I assume air ambulances also exempt, especially as I work at a large Hospital with it's own pad.

2high2fastagain
10th Jun 2010, 13:45
No problem. Happy to help!
To your last points. Those holding a Police Air Operators licence (Rule 6(e)) are exempt from the Low Flying Rule.
As far as the air ambulances are concerned, if you are close to their pad, then they except when performing a landing or taking off manouever (Rule 6(aii)).
The 500 foot rule is the general catch all, but aircraft also have to observe a 1000 foot rule over congested areas and open air festivals. Essentially this is designed so that single engined aircraft can glide clear if the spinny thing stops spinning. CAA in the UK takes all this very seriously. Student pilots have to pass an air law exam with all of this stuff (and lots more) before they are allowed to go solo.

Simon150
10th Jun 2010, 21:44
"If they are coming into land or doing a PFL, you can't touch them really."

...is that right? I read the link and it seems quite specific regarding landings and practice landings to an aerodrome.

PFL and EFATO are away from aerodromes? Is it legal to break the 500ft rule for the purposes of a realistic training exercise? I didn't get that from the link.

PAPI-74
10th Jun 2010, 22:19
If you are carrying out a pfl into a field, you can goto the deck as long as you have a clear overshoot to keep in rule 5. The CAA would not take any action if it was in the benefit of flight safety and pilot training.
Obviously, avoid tractors, footpaths etc. but a one off pfl isn't going to cause an issue if you are sensible.
Landings are exemt rule 5. How can you land otherwise or take off. Now a flyby is different. You need permission to break rule 5 from the CAA and a flyby is not a take off or landing, but prove a low approach and go arround wasn't a training exercise in approach perspective - or a lesson in FLWP (runway inspection prior to landing). The last of the three inspections is at approx 50' prior to landing. And this can be done off airfield.

PAPI-74
10th Jun 2010, 22:30
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf

Page 330

It is grey, but if you are sensible, a practice approach for the grant of your licence or re-validation is OK.
They never give you examples of what is OK and what isn't.

Tarman
11th Jun 2010, 12:33
Helicopters are exempt from the 500 foot rule if they are landing or taking off from a private landing site, which is pretty much anywhere you like in the UK. Restricted airspace allowing.
I was always taught from a pilot's point of view, when you can see the sheep's legs from the air, then you are about 300 feet above the ground, handy if you don't have a RadAlt !:}