PDA

View Full Version : The Dark(or at least opaque) side of Dubai

sheikmyarse
9th Jun 2010, 17:29
90 A380 wow!!!
Well Emirates is the only profitable business they have and they have to bet all they can on it...I would say gamble
Big proclama big plans but do they think the rest of world will just watch?
Sitting on 109 billion dollar debt (130% of GDP without considering 60 billion just estimated due to "opacity") for basically a single city is not bad..not at all...
It will take more or less 160 annual profits of EK.... to fix ther problem and the strong dollar will not help ..if not Abu Dhabi.
Dubai debt is fare more expensive to insure then the Greece or Iceland ones
Dubai is a financial bomb with no resources.
Emirates will go IPO.

ennui
9th Jun 2010, 19:47
Anyone "in the know", aware of the number ordered without CRC????

Love to have ALL the subcontinental and "Arabia" night turns given away to the "A" team.

ROFL

Gulfstreamaviator
10th Jun 2010, 10:47
Which bank will fund these purchases.

At what interest rate.

Have the bankers not been burnt enough yet.

Answers please. ???????????????

glf

Wizofoz
10th Jun 2010, 16:04
Have the bankers not been burnt enough yet.

Not by Emirates...

MATMAX
11th Jun 2010, 07:28
for the non-french , you should read : Jean De La Fontaine , la grenouille et le boeuf , the frog and the beef ...

Sataybox
11th Jun 2010, 12:07
Not by Emirates...

Yet.

They're all part of Dubai, Inc ( A Division of Abu Dahbi Inc).

You don't really trust them do you? After all you've seen?

ferris
11th Jun 2010, 12:43
I would think they would have no trouble obtaining finance for new a/c. As far as I know, large jet a/c increase in value for the first few years after they commence line flying, due to the "de-bugging" process that goes on. Also, the very nature of the asset involves it arriving every few days on the tarmac of a country under 'rule of law', thereby enabling repossession if required (as airlines who don't pay their bills regularly find out). Much less risk than loaning money to, say, EMAAR.

ennui
11th Jun 2010, 17:32
Heard there may be a bit of profit in leasing aircraft?????

Been done before.

Tie up the production line and lease or sell.

My bet is that 90 A380's will NOT be operated by EK.

I'm sick of interesting times. . . . . . .

White Knight
11th Jun 2010, 18:29
My bet is that 90 A380's will NOT be operated by EK.

My bet is that they will be:cool:

I haven't yet seen EK order aircraft to lease out or sell on. They need the capacity - simple as that. Whatever we may think of our flight ops management I take my hat off to the commercial department. They bring in the business better than any other airline's operation - simple, but true....

Schibulsky
12th Jun 2010, 03:35
I haven't yet seen EK order aircraft to lease
I did...some of the last 777 were handed over to a leasing company during the delivery flight.
Then leased to EK...

White Knight
12th Jun 2010, 04:26
Ok Schibulsky but you get my drift - still operated by EK:rolleyes:

nolimitholdem
12th Jun 2010, 13:07
errrm...

-maybe if they were "operating" more than 10 of the original order of 58 placed....HOW long ago again? or;

-maybe if the thing could keep from going tech ever three minutes or;

-maybe if it didn't burn 60 odd tons more fuel than a B777 to carry 100 odd pax to JFK or;

-maybe maybe maybe...then it would be an impressive announcement. But hey...announcements are free...

Kamelchaser
12th Jun 2010, 15:38
Flew to JED with 467 POB and used only two engines.

Bet you can't do that on a 380 ;)

pool
12th Jun 2010, 16:18
Flew to London with POB 540http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif in 3 classes.

So was it you then leaving London 6 hours late, the following day? :{

I guess that doesn't matter, as the revenue is higher.
Might be true, but it still uses more fuel per capita.
More cash maybe, but more ecological, as boasted?? - > not!

El Peligroso
12th Jun 2010, 19:25
Love to have ALL the subcontinental and "Arabia" night turns given away to the "A" team
I think you'll find that those in the "A" team (left seat at least) have done more than their fair share of night turns. Now, wind your neck in, go to bed and get ready to do "your" share.
:ok: LOL

Dropp the Pilot
13th Jun 2010, 01:38
Although the A380 might only rarely achieve a successful departure, once it passes that hurdle it has the advantage of being able to continue to it's destination even with a cargo fire warning.

You may contrast that with the antiquated and unsophisticated 430-seat airplane that I fly for Emirates. We would be required to land in that case.

Kamelchaser
13th Jun 2010, 08:09
You're absolutely right A380...as dropp quite rightly mentioned, we take emergencies seriously on the 777 (probably because they don't come along very often), and tend to land and sort it out.

Cargo fires, engine failures, babies crying 2 feet from your ear when resting(?) in the CRC..experiencing that sort of stuff would rather be on the ground! :p

EFC 3 DAYS
13th Jun 2010, 08:11
You know what you guys who are yapping on and on about how much better the plane you are flying is over the plane another person is flying should do????

YouTube - shut up shuttin up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYa0jpGFUeY)