PDA

View Full Version : EYES What to do?

MANOMAN
9th Apr 2001, 15:32
I would really like some advise about what I should do about my eyes.
I have noticed considerable deterioration of my eyes over the last year and know about the eye restrictions of becoming an airline pilot in the UK, (+/-3.00 Diopters and +/-5.00 at renewal). However with lots of information about eye requirements from the CAA, I still have a problem.

The thing is I last went for an eye test 3 years ago and found that I was:
Sph Cyl Axis
Right -0.25 -0.50 80
left 0 -0.25 90

However 3 years on I know that this has increased, the thing is I am not sure whether to get glasses or not, because I am told that they only make your eyes worse! Due to the fact that I am under 25 and my short-sightedness will not usually stabilise until the mid-twenties I am not sure if I will get the class 1 medical.
Do I hane to show 3 years of stability of the refractive error because I am under 25?
Also would it be wise to have an eye test an get some weak glasses, for driving etc, not for using them all the time.

I would be most grateful for any information, on the topic of eye sight.

THANKS

MANOMAN.

Pielander
10th Apr 2001, 00:16
I was initially intrigued by this thread because I thought it said "MANWOMAN"!!! (Purely morbid curiousity). Oh stop it Mr. Pie!

Try doing a search for posts by Magoo. He has some pretty sensible sounding advice. If you need glasses to drive safely, then sure, get some glasses. It's even harder to get a Class 1 if you're pancaked against a brick wagon or serving a stretch at the Royal Hotel for mincing a toddler. Just don't fall into the usual trap of starting to use them for close up work, or anything other than driving/flying for that matter. They DO f*** your eyes up, and that's why opticians will be more than willing to sell you a pair or two - That's how they make a living!!!

--------------------------------------

To Pie to Serve

eject
10th Apr 2001, 03:05
Go get a test. I'd be very surprised if you have a problem based on the figures you quote. Good luck.

wobble-head
10th Apr 2001, 08:27
manoman, I am no expert but hopefully this info may help:

Although I was diagnosed slightly short-sighted I joined the RN at the age of 19 and just scraped through the sight test, within 9 months however I realised I couldn't read the blackboard from the back of the class. Not wanting to go through another 6 months of basic training just to get kicked out for poor eyesight at a later date, I saw the doc at Dartmouth.

I was told no problem as once you had joined the services your eyesight only had to be correctable.

I was issued with specs that I wore throughout my training and career. Initialy I only wore them flying, then driving and finally all the time.

My eyesight did drop down sharply at about the age of 25 and I currently wear contacts with the prescription of -1.5. I AM a specky tw*t!

I currently fly commercially and at my last medical the company doc did mention something about a minimum standard of uncorrected vision proposed under JAR OPS. This was something being driven by the French funny old thing.

In your case I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as your sight is correctable. I don't think you have to show a history of stabilised sight and I would recommend you wear specs should you need them, again professional advice should be sought.

You have probably already wisely discounted surgery as it is still relatively early days in that field and who knows what the long term effects are.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded but good luck anyway!

MANOMAN
10th Apr 2001, 15:50
Thanks for the advise from all!

The thing is that I am still undecided wheather to go to university or join a training college as a self sponsored cadet.

I really want to head for the training college, because I can not see myself going though a degree for 3/4 years. I have heard that airline prefer to employ those with degree's over those without.

My gratest worry is that my eye sight may deteriorate further if I go to university.

What should I do, go to uni and hope for the best with my eyes or head for the training college and get that class 1 medical?

Please advise?

THANKS, again to those who replied much appreciated.

MANOMAN!

FireDragon
10th Apr 2001, 16:36
Regardless of whether or not you decide to go to university, why not get your class 1 anyway? I know that this will cost you, but at least you will have the INITIAL, so if your eyesight does deteriorate, you should still pass the renewals.

If I were you, I'd look upon this as a form of insurance.

FD

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
11th Apr 2001, 12:28
Just letting you know my situation, I phoned the CAA to book my Class 1 medical, and was asked by the kind young lady if i wear specs, to which I replied yes. She then went on to say that I need to send in a letter or form that gives my eye correctness details (you know what I mean) from my optician, and that I was to fax or post it to them. So fingers crossed, I have an eye test this afternoon and will let you know the results.

I'll keep you updated later on.

DWHLO?

I can say for a fact that my eyes are not good as they used to be and I'll be lucky to scrape through my eye examination.

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
11th Apr 2001, 20:15
Just had the eye test and the results are as follows:

Right Eye: SPH: -4.25
Left Eye: SPH: -3.25

ANY IDEAS IF I'LL SCRAPE THRU MY MEDICAL 1?????

eject
12th Apr 2001, 01:52
If that's it, yes. However, if you also were found to have astigmatism, that might change the prognosis. Check the CAA website and consult your optician in the first instance.

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
12th Apr 2001, 12:54
Many thanks for your reply eject.

I'll have a quick word with them about astigmatism.