PDA

View Full Version : IAA class one & training in the UK

village flyer
9th Apr 2001, 15:31
Any update on the IAA medicals and their validity for training in the U.K.?
Mutt and eject, how did ye get on? (saw on earlier thread).
I hear that the schools are particularly looking for one from gatwick no matter what, anyone else hear that?

VF

eject
12th Apr 2001, 01:58
Hi VF. I've emailed a request for info to the IAA but as yet, no response. Anybody else got any thoughts or information on this one????

FRIDAY
12th Apr 2001, 06:19
Here is my experience (6 mths ago): Have Iaa class 1 med. Rang the mater enquiring about its validity in europe, they said ring gatwick, so i did, They said that with copy of my results they would give me a renewal and i would receive a caa medical, seemed dodgy. However I decided to hold off a bit and see if IAA get there act together by august (renewal up) if not back on the phone to gatwick.keep us posted if you get further info your not the only one in this pointless predicament.

village flyer
12th Apr 2001, 15:07
Cheers folks....
I too popped a mail off to the IAA, no response. In conversation to an Irish student in the UK, he confirmed that the schools certainly prefer medicals from Gatwick, and to save him the bother he simply said nothing about the first medical and obtained a JAA medical (from gatwick).
(To be honest I dont know what medical he had from IAA).
I guess it is just a case of watching this space.....
VF

mutt
14th Apr 2001, 15:20
Village Flyer,

AFAIK the status quo still stands, the Maher are issuing medicals to the JAR standards, but as Ireland hasnt received its JAR approval yet, these arent JAR medicals!

I'm waiting patiently for the AIC which changes this.

Your best bet would be to ring a Dr David Tallent in the Maher some Friday morning. If you do so, please let us know how you get on.

Mutt :)

(Edited to spell Dr Tallents name correctly.)

[This message has been edited by mutt (edited 15 April 2001).]

eject
16th May 2001, 00:44
Word received recently from the IAA is that some states "are insisting that an initial medical examination be carried out in the
State where training is to be given, regardless of any previous initial
examinations carried out in the home State of an applicant.

An appeal against this practice is proceeding, but there is uncertainty when
and how the appeal will be received. Therefore you have no option other
than having another initial in Gatwick."

Sounds like this could be in fundamental breach of European law. Has anyone got any info/thoughts/comments?