PDA

View Full Version : Best Headset for jet aircraft

EI-CON
9th Jun 2010, 10:34
Hi Everyone,

Just about to do some summer spending and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good noise reduction headset for use in jet aircraft? So far the Sennheiser HMEC 25-KA seems to be the one but at €610 Im not exactly rushing out to buy it! Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternate or is this the one to get?

Thanks in advance

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2010, 15:04
We did an assessment of most of the stuff on the market for the back (not front) of our large research jet about a year ago.

The universal view was "Bose-X", so we bought a load, and they're fantastic - if a little fragile.

G

Pace
14th Jun 2010, 17:23
The Bose are still one of the best if not THE best as you can wear them for hours without feeling clamped.

I used Bose flying a Citation 500 and would recommend them if you want a full headset.

Having said that the current Citation 550 I fly has simple Telex which are very light, you can chuck them anywhere. You can even move the thin band to the back portion of your head without them falling out of place. They cause no pressure points and in a light jet are perfectly adequate.

We had a new set which were supposed to be the noise cancelling variety but arrived on the morning of a flight as the NON noise cancelling variety so we used them although they were not noise cancelling and they are just fine so they stayed.

In someways noise cancelling detaches you from the aircraft which in a noisy prop is fine but maybe not needed in a jet???

Other than the Bose I would not bother with a full headset in a light jet apart from clamping and pressure points they will mess up your hairstyle and make your bald patch bigger as time goes on :E

Pace