PDA

View Full Version : Hearing chart??

Chuck Martin
7th Apr 2001, 02:15
I having trouble understanding the audio hearing chart in the FAR/AIM. Can anyone please help me out? I scored a 15Db at 3000Hz. What is the worst acceptable Db you can have and still pass the audio test?

Where it says better ear poorer ear, which of the two ist the failing point as far as Db goes?

Anyway can anyone help me out??

Thanks for your help!!
Chuck Martin

Ticker
10th Apr 2001, 17:57
Chuck,

I do not know what the exact FAA limits may be, but I expect they are similar to the UK CAA. The Medics here are interested in your hearing in the speech range, which is 250-4000Hz. Above that is not a reqirement for UK licence. A 15db loss is not too bad and is certainly way above the maximum loss permitted here.

We fall below the limits at a 35db loss, but that does not mean you lose your licence as the CAA move the goalposts if you are old and experienced. I have a 40db loss at 3000hz (deafness occurs at 50db loss), but as I am 54 and have 16,000 hours they say I can keep flying.

My advice to you is to buy some Active Noise reducing Headsets. They are amazing. I wish I had used them years ago, and then I would still have some hearing left.

As regards what the Db means, it is roughly equivalent to percentage loss of hearing at that frequency. So 15db is a 15% loss (about) at that frequency.