PDA

View Full Version : Steep Turns in new aircraft

Jumbo744
7th Jun 2010, 17:37
Hi all,

I'd like you to share your experience on flying a different aircraft for the first time. How were your steep turns ?

I've flown C150s, C172s, DA20s and PA28s during my CPL training so I am used to do all the manoeuvres with those aircraft, but a few month ago, I flew a Tobago TB10 for the first time and I had difficulties doing steep turns (not maintaining altitude, going up and down), and today, on my first multi-engine flight, I had the same problem.

Is it common not to be as good as you are used to when going to a different aircraft?

Thanks

mad_jock
7th Jun 2010, 17:50
Its perfectly normal don't worry.

Just get the instructor to demonstrate and get the attitude picture nailed in your memory along with how much power they put on.

Then when you do it just nail that attitude.

Jumbo744
7th Jun 2010, 18:20
thanks a lot mad_jock...it is so frustrating! I'll use your advice for tomorrow's flight.

Thanks again.

mad_jock
8th Jun 2010, 11:19
How did it go then?

Jumbo744
8th Jun 2010, 12:27
flying in about 3.30 hours, I will let you know, thanks a lot :ok:

Jumbo744
8th Jun 2010, 19:13
cattletruck, thanks for your nice post :)

We had to cancel the flight! Left alternator failure during run-up :ugh: I will fly tomorrow instead...

Thanks!

Jumbo744
12th Jun 2010, 02:33
thanks for your advice! went really good today! :ok:

mad_jock
12th Jun 2010, 09:20
Great news..

Another tip.

Trim trim trim trim.

Always make sure you in trim.

After every power change when your single engine your next action should be to retrim the aircraft.

And the attitude things works with all exercises get used to setting attitudes and power then leaving it to stabilise then trim.

And thanks for coming back and saying how you got on. Quite alot of folk don't bother.

clanger32
14th Jun 2010, 12:34
My top tip for Steep turns, partic in multi engine aircraft would be really do NOT let the nose drop....I found when flying ME (Seneca) that if the nose starts to go down it's very very hard to then bring it back up AND maintain the turn/altitude. The key (for me) was to not let the bugger go down in the first place....once I got that through my thick skull I found them far easier.

Jumbo744
14th Jun 2010, 15:12
exactly, and same goes for the nose going up. The key is to bank until reaching 45° and then pull. I was pulling as I was banking...:ok: