PDA

View Full Version : Hearing test??

Chuck Martin
14th Feb 2001, 20:22
Hi everyone,

I got my hearing tested last week and The right ear was fine and had a little loss in the left ear. I was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts.

I am dieing to be an airline pilot or corporate pilot. I passed my second class medical with ease!! The six foot wisper test.

Anyway the audio test results were 15Db at 3000Hz, 50Db at 4000Hz, 40Db at 6000Hz and 45Db at 8000Hz.

My qeustion is Will I pass an AME audio test for a first class medical?

All of the ranges are not in the area that is stated in the FAR's. (500Hz,1000Hz,2000Hz and 3000Hz)

Thanks for the help!!
Chuck

Barney
15th Feb 2001, 16:08
Chuck,

It sounds as though will be OK. I have got a Class 1, and I have a slight loss of tone in my right ear at 8000Hz. The loss that you experience seems to be outside the frequencies used for speech etc, so you should be OK. If in doubt, send a copy of your audiogram to the CAA, and they will be able to advise - contrary to previous beliefs, they are really helpful!

For a Class 1, you have an audiogram at initial, then every 5 years to age 40, and every 2 years after that (I think). In the mean time, you have to be able to understand normal conversation at 6 feet with your back to the Doc. You said you passed this for your Class 2, so you should be OK.

Give the CAA a call - if only to put your mind at rest (or even go for the Class 1, but tell them about this. They will then do the audiogram first to check everything is OK)

Hope this helps - good luck!

Barney

MaximumPete
18th Feb 2001, 02:11
It might be a good idea to check the JAR regulations from their website at :-

www.jaa.nl (http://www.jaa.nl)

and look for FCL 3.235 Hearing Requirements

Best of luck

Pete