PDA

View Full Version : Nerddom support request/ramble

neroliie
7th Jun 2010, 11:12
Slightly (but not entirely) light-hearted and tongue in cheek, hope that's ok here.

I've just finished skimming through the Air Accident Report about the BA Boeing that landed short of the runway at Heathrow a couple of years ago (yes, I do have 'real' stuff to do on a Monday morning, but heh). This incident sticks out in my memory because it delayed the greater part of my journey to Manila a couple of days afterwards.

My question is this: that I found it enthralling to read is...not quite shared by the general populace, right?

I'm not saying I read all 250-odd pages and I'm not saying that I now claim to know everything there is to know about how fuel is taken from the tanks to the engines, let alone the temperature at which ice is at its most sticky. But knowing the general gist of things from a relatively close reading of the conclusions fills me with a kind of glee.

I suppose I could have looked up the thread in R&N - but something told me skimming a 250 page pdf was more time-efficient. And there's something about getting things from the horse's mouth.

(That I used 'nerd' in the title is not a comment on the nerd/geek distinction, whatever that may be)