PDA

View Full Version : The use of a correction pen in CAP 741 logbook ?

flame_bringer
6th Jun 2010, 19:05
Been wondering , is it allowed to use a correction pen in the CAP 741 worksheet , i know it sounds like a naive question but it really has been bothering me lately seeing as my hand writing is scruffy as well as the fact that i had to scribble on the mistakes that i made when writing in the worksheet it renders the worksheet very terrible .

Rigga
6th Jun 2010, 20:48
Personally, I'd re-write the sheet - if at all possible.

The reason being - the sheet should last for a long time and lots of people may want to see it.

Otherwise - I'd treat it like real paperwork and rule through it and sign off the mistake, like a professional piece of paperwork.

Alternatively - I do all mine on a PC and sign the neatly printed copy.

Hope this helps.

Rigga

Blues&twos
6th Jun 2010, 21:10
Depending on whether it's important to show the original text or not (for future inspection/audit purposes) you could do what we do...a single line through the error so that the original entry can still be read, the correct text written nearby and initials/date to show who made the correction and when.
(In some cases we also have to write a brief explanatory note, for example if we've corrected an out-of-specification entry to an in-specification entry).
If it's not important that the whole document is the original, then follow Rigga's advice and re-write the whole sheet.

I'd avoid a correction pen (in my industry they are expressly forbidden), they tend to make things look even more messy, especially if you don't wait long enough for the fluid to dry!

muduckace
9th Jun 2010, 05:08
The FAA guideline is to line through a mistaken entry and inital it (to give clarity).

Rigga
11th Jun 2010, 19:13
Just to put this situation into its right place - this is a question for an engineers Log Book - not an aircraft's Tech Log, nor aircraft documentation, even.

Some of the more formal answers are correct for Tech Log uses (and I agree with those methods when used for Tech Logs) But we are not talking about tech logs here.

I maintain that to rewrite the page (if possible) is a better presentation to prospective employers or Regulatory Authorities.

flame_bringer
14th Jun 2010, 07:45
Thanks everyone
I appreciate your answers, however after some digging on this matter it turned out that it makes no difference in that in the end i wont be submitting my original papers i will have to photocopy them so the correction pen wont appear anyways .
Thanks again