PDA

View Full Version : No or not many shortcuts in Spain

Jimmy Hoffa Rocks
6th Jun 2010, 16:56
Anybody have the latest on the No Shortcut policy of AENA given to ATC.:ugh:

No more shortcut follow flight plan route

This is complete hogwash.

Its ok for AENA to charge airlines all this money and provide substandard service.

Not just the tons and tons of fuel being wasted for their imcompetence.

What about the the extra carbon emssions going into the environment ?:=

LEVC
6th Jun 2010, 19:04
There is a non official war between the controlers and Jose Blanco, who is the presidentīs strong man, he is in charge of the "Ministerio de Fomento", thus , in control of AENA.
The controlers used to be civil servants, with all the benefits it implies (cannot be fired unless they really screw-up) and they used to have a very strong union.
Years ago, when AENA was already private company (although the major part is owned by the administration, but the management is private), they negotiated with the controlerīs union the terms and conditions, which were quite a good arrangement for the controlers, this terms and conditions were suposed to be in force now, as any negotiation aproved by both parts and that is published on the BOE (public bulletin published by the administration regularly and where one can find all information related to public affairs).
But the goverment has the power of canceling this arrangements ifthere is a major situation were something has to be done in order to avoid major problems, this cancelation is suposed to be an exceptional measure, that is , not just because they feel like canceling it.
Using this legal tool, Jose Blanco has imposed by law (real decreto if I remember correctly) among other things, a salary cut of 30%, and the roster and scheduling of ATC falls now under AENAīs power rather than own managed by controlers as it used to be.
He has also imposed a reduction in the number of controlers asigned for each scheduled service.

What we are suffering now is the reaction of the controlers, since they cannot do a strike because this is a government imposed thing using the legal tool Imentioned earlier, and they would be fired if the do strike, they are doing their job "by the book", meaning they will not do anything that is not 100% under the rules , like reducing separation, even on VMC and both traffics affected reporting the other one in sight etc etc

I agree is not really nice to be burning extra fuel, or arrriving a bit later than we could, but on the other hand, I consider that what the goverment is doing to the controlers is not fair, and I am sure, in due time they will get their salary and conditions to what it was.

I hope I have been of some help to understand what is going on with spanish ATC.

LEVC

Jimmy Hoffa Rocks
6th Jun 2010, 19:55
Gracias LEVC for the explanation, yes have read about the Real Decreto.

For sure AENA has done things wrong but that is between AENA and the controllers and the negotiating is the place to settle such things.

Seems like they did not publish the big salaries that these bigshot AENA management guys are making.

I would just prefer if the controllers twould find a way to go after Jose Blanco and AENA directly as it this affects and hurts the airlines more. This has been going on for a few years.

I wish you luck.

To be competitive in Europe AENA needs to bring its fees down especially now.

AENA is making a large profit meanwhile many airlines such as Spanair who are the customers of AENA continue to suffer.

Would like to hear more of the controller side, yes the overtime system was AENAīs creation. But it seems like the pay was a lot more than the other Europeans but they make a lot in Italy and France too. ?

Good luck