PDA

View Full Version : Refractive Error - Any News on the December JAA meeting?

ASI
12th Feb 2001, 17:32
Does anybody know if a decision was made in the December JAA meeting with regards to following the ICAO recommendation of scrapping refractive error limits?

Nothing has been posted on the CAA website but somebody must know something by now.

------------------
Regards

ASI

ASI
15th Feb 2001, 23:26
Just checked the CAA web site and it is good news for all those wannabes with myopia.

The JAA are changing to +/-5 Dioptres for intial class 1 issue and -8 at renewal. http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_whatsnew.asp?id=164

------------------
Regards

ASI

loz
16th Feb 2001, 15:44
asi;
i don't know what will be the final issue of the jaa meeting's but the -5/-8 rule only applies for the uK , but it's not the case for the majority of the jaa members where it's sill -3/+3 ; hope that the jaa will follow the caa's idea;if anybody else has infos about the subject please advise:::
loz

Flying_Steph
16th Feb 2001, 17:12
Hi Loz ! Whaz' up ? Send me an e-mail when you've got the time !

Concerning the CAA's decision, I don't see why they would apply different rules from the proposed new JAA ones, and why other states might not follow these new JAA guidelines ?

The JAA is not like ICAO, you're IN or you're OUT. There's no place for differences. They might be slow to do the change, but everybody will eventually come to it.

EyeBall Paul
16th Feb 2001, 19:32
Does anyone know if the proposed changes to the diopters limits are for refractive errors only (ie short and long sight), or will there be changes to astigmasm limits also (ie the second set of numbers on your eyesight prescription)??? Current limit for Class I for astigmatism is +/-2.0 .

ASI
16th Feb 2001, 21:00
EyeBall Paul;

It looks like the limits for astigmatism and anisometropia are going to remain at 2 dipotres for initial class 1 issue but are to be extended to 3 dioptres at renewal.

ASI

Watch your six !
16th Feb 2001, 21:05
hi guys !

Read again the JAA medical subcommitee report on the CAA website .

They say that the JAA members have reached agreement for the +/- 5 dioptres rule , which means everybody in the JAA field gonna change it to the +/-5 rule .

There is no chance to see any change then before nov 2001 , as it takes quite a lot of time to implement these measures and this should be adopted by nov 2001 , when the ICAO adopt the " no limit refration error" .
It is unlikely we see a further change in the JAA regulations before a couple of years and to my opinion , it is unlikely the JAA vote for the no limit error anyway .

rest assured , the +/-5 dioptres rule is there for at least 10 years before the bureaucratic guys let the things happen !

The astigamistm limit is +/-2dioptres and gonna change to +/-3 dioptes for renewal which is good news , same for anisometropia .

do not worry u , wannabies , you gonna make it one day ! be patient !

[This message has been edited by Watch your six ! (edited 16 February 2001).]