PDA

View Full Version : < 500 hrs PIC CAAC- Civil Aviation Auth. China Approves 100 hrs PIC on Type

Brookfield Abused
6th Jun 2010, 11:09
This similar to the Indian DGAC,
So for all of you who have never made it to the magical "500hrs PIC on TYPE" for various reasons, the CAAC allows ALL CHN Airlines to request License Validations for Foreign Pilot Applicants who have 100 or more on type.
Important to note is that PICUS is still NOT considered PIC, so don't B.S. about this as this is the same as P2/Fo time and if you have failed your Upgrade this does not apply to you.
So even though many Agencies write min. requirement is 500 hrs. It is not true and usually they do not know this!!!!!
A Chief Pilot of Hainan Airlines (HNA) confirms that their Airline will hire (and HNA hired 2 so far from SkyEurope) those Captains who have less than 500, more than 100hrs. ON TYPE.
Maybe the Sim. eveluation is harder, but this chance rarely exists.
Again each CHN Airline may have some Insurance Restrictions, etc. with a higher min., so go for it!
Good luck.

BMAN1
13th Jun 2010, 21:31
"Important to note is that PICUS is still NOT considered PIC...."

Please elaborate
What exactly is PICUS?

exeng
13th Jun 2010, 21:54
What exactly is PICUS?

Pilot in command under supervision.

You sit in the RH seat and play at being Captain whilst being evaluated by the training captain in the LH seat - at least that was how BA played the game.

Regards
Exeng

Sciolistes
13th Jun 2010, 22:34
It is any time flown as PF with any line capt. Has to be signed by capt or company.

latetonite
14th Jun 2010, 06:39
You get it a bit wrong here. Picus is flown in the LHS, with a training captain in the RHS. Your Command sim was done and now you are acting PIC, under the supervision for a 100 or so hours..later follows your final line check as Captain.
If you have only 100 hrs on type as captain, your resume looks a bit fishy anyway. Did you leave your previous employer swiftly after he paid for all this fancy upgrade training? Did he kick you out after trying to upgrade you for a while?

EpsilonVaz
14th Jun 2010, 07:34
Read LASORS for UK (so I assume JAR) regulations, PICUS or P1S is what F/O's put in their logbook while flying as PF in the RHS with a Captain.

LASORS Section A, Appendix B. Recording of Flight Time.

Small quote (among others):
Co-Pilot
• The designated co-pilot of the aeroplane may log as
co-pilot all the time he acts as co-pilot whilst sitting
in a pilot’s seat.
• He may log as PIC U/S all the time he occupies a
pilot’s seat and acts as pilot-in-command under the
supervision of the pilot in command or a cruise relief
pilot substituting for the pilot in command.
• He may also log as pilot in command all the time
he is acting as pilot in command and substituting for
the designated commander of the aircraft when he
is taking rest.
• He may not log as flight time any periods during
which he does not occupy a pilot’s seat.

captplaystation
14th Jun 2010, 08:05
latetonite,

I get your point, but a much more common reason these days (no doubt applicable to the skyeurope Capts referred to) is that the employer goes tits-up before the guys can log any more command time. With the state of the industry this last while there will be more than a few in this situation.

mad_jock
14th Jun 2010, 11:19
The picus thing has many different interpretations.

It goes from you only log it as part of a defined course with the company with a line trainer/TRI/TRE.

To logging it every flight that the FO is PF. I personally got told to log it in line training on my first multi crew type.

I didn't in the end because I had more than enough PIC time for ATPL issue from instructing.

The way the UK seems to work you don't even need to get it signed off every flight, a company letter confirming hours will do. I can think of quite a few Captains who would go balistic if they ever found out that some had obtained an ATPL or any benefit using hours logged as PICUS with them PIC.

Denti
14th Jun 2010, 11:21
LASORS is only applicable to the UK and not to any other JAR country. All of them handle it differently, most require a special training program to be able to log PICUS time, most of the time only used during commander supervision during an upgrade.

The main reason is that JAR-FCL is not the same thing in the JAR-Countries since it had to be put into national law, and many countries (including the UK) introduced their own version in the process. That supposedly is gonna change with the next version of FCL which will be supplied directly as european law from the EASA.

FlightDetent
14th Jun 2010, 12:08
Read LASORS for UK (so I assume JAR) regulations, PICUS or P1S is what F/O's put in their logbook while flying as PF in the RHS with a Captain. It's more complicated than that.

JAR-FCL: [Pilot-in-command under supervision. Co-pilot performing, under the supervision of the pilot-in-command, the duties and functions of a pilot-in-command, provided that the method of supervision employed is acceptable to the Authority.]
LASORS explain what level of supervision is deemed acceptable for CAA UK. In other places it may be and is significantly different. For instance, our CAA requires a LFI, 500h on type for applicant, approved training course with commander's responsibilities groundschool and assessment document post flight before the sign-off into the logbook can be done.

Also those are never PIC hours. They are co-pilot hours logged into PIC column in the logbook in order to be credited towards a higher level of licence.

edited to add:

The PIC(US) must be countersigned as per JAR-FCL. If this is not the case in UK or elsewhere today, it will be illegal once FCL is implemented as EC Regulation (similar to JAR-OPS going to EU-OPS).

More from the FCL: a co-pilot may log as PIC flight time flown as PICUS, when all of the duties and functions of PIC on that flight were carried out, such that the intervention of the PIC in the interest of safety was not required
If the hours do not get countersigned by PIC, how do you ascertain that no intervention had been required?

Yours,
FD (the un-real)
[tag: Off-topic/CLOSE]