PDA

View Full Version : Supermarine Attacker

NeilCP
5th Jun 2010, 17:31
Hi Guys,i was wondering what the chances are of any Attackers surviving in Pakistan.Any body on here From there.Regards....Neil

EGTE
6th Jun 2010, 09:04
As an aside, my Father did his national Service as an ATC assistant at RAF Mauripur in the early/mid 1950's. He tells me that the Attackers were new when he arrived but that many had crashed by the time he left!

Hektor057
10th Nov 2015, 05:30
[FONT="Georgia"]About 20 of Pakistan's 36 Attackers survived and were actually air worthy in 1956. The PAF thereafter transitioned to the F-86F and other US-origin planes. The Attackers were disposed off as scrap by auction. The PAF sorely regretted not not having saved one or two Attackers for their Air Force Museum, and would still like to acquire one, if one were available at a reasonable price.
Hektor

Wyvernfan
10th Nov 2015, 18:03
To answer the original OP's question the answer is sadly zero. A few years ago it was deemed that there are no known complete airframes, and even parts seem to be pretty much non existent.

Of course, if someone knows different, then I'd love to know more!

Rob

joy ride
11th Nov 2015, 13:20
One still at FAA Museum, Yeovilton perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Attacker

Cornish Jack
13th Nov 2015, 17:44
From memory (a poor source nowadays!) the Pakistan Air Force acquired their Attackers at the same time, mid 50s, as their Bristol Freighters (Frighteners). These two types were the major contributors to the National Day celebration fly-past and, (possibly apocryphal), many fewer returned to Mauripur than set off! Bazaar gossip referred to a 'formation crash'! Same source reported the purchase prices to have been 10d each for the Frighteners and a shilling each for the Attackers. It was generally thought that the sellers had done well:E

Genghis the Engineer
13th Nov 2015, 18:02
One still at FAA Museum, Yeovilton perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Attacker

Yeovilton.

Genghis Sr. was an apprentice then design engineer at Supermarine South Marsden (now the Honda car factory, just south of Swindon) and worked on both the Attacker and Scimitar. I've taken my brother's kids there to see "the aeroplanes that grandad built". They're very well looked after and displayed, in my opinion (the aeroplanes also).

I took this photograph in June 2012.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12219580_1052870618065308_4048381167073605701_n.jpg?oh=e1009 f8280278e51788a317d293373bc&oe=56B5DDAE

G

Dr Jekyll
14th Nov 2015, 17:06
As I understand it the FAA rejected the Spiteful due to the way it handled, then bought the Attacker with the same wing. Did the Attacker handle that much better or was it just the only suitable jet available?

Rosevidney1
14th Nov 2015, 18:49
The Pilot's Notes for the Attacker F1/FB2 doesn't seem too frightening. Taxiing with the tailwheel may not have been easy, trim had to be carefully watched and the earliest examples were best not operated over 35K due to pressurisation concerns. At least it had an ejector seat and could be ditched successfully! I suppose it could be classed as adequate for its time. Never seen the PNs or flight test reports for the Spiteful or Seafang.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Nov 2015, 20:54
I thought that the main reason for the abandonment of the Spiteful was that it just got superceded by jets by the time it was fit for service?

G