PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on downloading manuals to iPad?

Flying Clog
5th Jun 2010, 15:45
Hello, bit of a lame question-

Having a bit of an issue downloading my (Cathay) ops manuals etc to my iPad via the Goodreader app.

Anyone had any experience with this and able to offer some advice? The problem is I click on the link to the manual from the company website, but it doesn't get sent to Goodreader... nothing happens!

Cheers in advance,

Cloggy
:confused:

bnt
5th Jun 2010, 22:02
Apple doesn't allow files used by one iWhatever program (e.g. Safari) to be seen by another program (e.g. Goodreader) directly, every program runs in its own "sandbox" by design. You have to follow the specific instructions for Goodreader to get it to see files. Can you see it in Shared Files under Apps, in iTunes on your computer? (I dunno, I only have an iPod Touch which doesn't support that yet.)

It's either that or use Goodreader's built-in "web server" to upload the files. Hit the Connect button (bottom left I think), then open the browser on your computer to the address displayed on the iPad screen. There will be a list of the files on there, and an upload form.

casio man
6th Jun 2010, 06:36
Hi there FC,

I downloaded the manuals into my desktop and then transferred it to Dropbox (there's a thread about this program somewhere in this computer section). Once the stuff I wanted was in Dropbox, I opened up Goodreader and downloaded the ones that I think I might need offline (up on the FD for instance). Goodreader smartly recognizes Dropbox, Mobileme and a few other file sharing programs, so that was a pretty easy one click set up.

The other method which seems simpler, but I have not personally tried is to use iTunes/iPad link and download the files directly.

But all this is assuming that CX allows you guys to download the manuals off the net.

All a bit cumbersome, which I hope Apple will resolve soon.

rgbrock1
8th Jun 2010, 20:13
This issue will be resolved with the release of iOS 4 in a few weeks time.

TwinAisle
31st Aug 2010, 11:10
Another thought.... if you are happy with them as flat files (so minus any hyperlinks etc - although you can search etc) - you could print them to a pdf file, and then use iBooks on the iPad to read them?

TA