PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin Pills v Vegies/Fruit?

Slasher
13th Nov 2000, 04:30
If vitamins are vitamins, is there any difference in chemical make-up from which source you get them from?
Im a vitamin B and C pill popper because I often dont get the chance to eat too many foods that are rich in them. But increasingley Im told to dump the pills and try to eat what comes naturaly.
Can anyone tell me how 500mg of vitamin C in a single pill is any different to consuming 500mg worth in oranges?

Bird Strike
13th Nov 2000, 08:17
I don't know anything about the actual differences between the vitamins directly from the fruit/veg and the pills, but I can think of a benefit of having the actual fruit/veg - you don't just get the particular vitamin, but you also get others (and minerals in some cases), as well as dietary fibres from the fresh fruit and veg.

As for me, I am having both fresh fruit/veg and vitamin pills - I'm popping Vitamin B, C, E, plus various others like Evening Primrose Oil, Aloe Vera etc.

redsnail
13th Nov 2000, 09:46
Slasher, and don't forget about all that good fibre you need. You are just about 40 now. Got to keep that bowell moving. :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Bob Hawke
13th Nov 2000, 11:52
Reddo, if you don't swallow, are you fibre retentive? Just wondering.