PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Mountains region by air.

Ultralights
5th Jun 2010, 07:42
Gday, with the long weekend coming up, i am thinking of exploring the snowy mountains by air., after searching google maps, the ERSA and country airstrip guide, i have noticed there are quite a few airstrips in the area, firstly, Adaminaby, is there good nice accommodation nearby anyone can recommend? also Jindabyne, but i also found a strip at Cabramurra! and also at Khancoban. Khancoban is listed in the country airstrip guide as Emergency use only, but there is no mention of Cabramurra airstrip anywhere, only it looks ok on Google maps..
I am also aware of the strip at Mitta Mitta and of course, Hotham and cooma polo flat.

Does anyone have any experience operating from these strips,know of their conditions, who to contact and know of good quality accommodation nearby any of them?

oh and i am using a Savannah VG for the trip, so any strip longer than 100 mtrs is ok.

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Jun 2010, 07:47
oh and i am using a Savannah VG for the trip, so any strip longer than 100 mtrs is ok.

Taking a couple of weeks off are you Ultralights? :E

Five or six BIG days to peddle the Savanah down to the Snowies, couple of days flying around that part of the world, five or six days back to Sydley!

Dr :8

Wally Mk2
5th Jun 2010, 08:00
God I had to laugh when I read strips longer than 100 mtrs are okay:) Needing such a small length just land on any clear paddock!:-) Take plenty of 'Sav' wit you 'Ultra' just in case yr Sav mount wants to rest a while when you don't:ok:

Am sure you know this anyway 'Ultra' but the Snowy's would have a lot of nasty turb in & around them hills with downdrafts that would no doubt be far stronger than any excess pwr yr Ultra would have avail not to mention the ever changing wx the hills can produce at a moments notice:)

Forky what the hell are you doing sniffing around down here? You & yr Bo wouldn't survive the winter & a SE over them thar hills in IMC???........WowYr nuts if you ever contemplate that, bad enuf in an Ultra!:E

Wmk2

Ultralights
5th Jun 2010, 08:16
Im well aware of the turbulence in those parts of the world! ill only be going if the predicted nice fat High sits itself over the region, six days there and back, think of the hours in the log book you faster guys dont get on such a trip!:ok: on the ferry from Caloundra to The Gong, i came to appreciate those lovely padded seats at an average speed of 87 kts!

nuts if you ever contemplate that, bad enuf in an Ultra!
Hay Rotax 912 and 100 Hp up front! rather that than any Continental or lycoming product in such terrain! :}