PDA

View Full Version : BA Hamble Film - Airline Pilot

Pull what
4th Jun 2010, 12:42
Anyone know how/where to get hold of a copy of either of these two films--one shewed students starting in the Chipmunks and the later one in the Cherokees?

LAS1997
6th Jun 2010, 15:45
There was a film released by the British airways archives about 15 years ago. It was entitled 'Great British Airline Classics' and featured the story of a BOAC VC10 cadet pilot at Hamble and his progress through the training programme until he qualified as a Second Officer on board a VC10. It was titled 'Airline Pilot' and set around 1967. It features VC10 base training in SNN as well as his first flight on a VC10 to Bombay. If this is the one you refer to you may be able to obtain a copy of the VHS tape by contacting the British airways Museum at Heathrow. They may still have some copies available for sale. ART Productions produced most of the films which were released to the general public in the early 1990's. They have since stopped selling the films. The musuem can be contacted through the main BA website WWW.BA.COM (http://www.BA.COM) I hope this helps.

Pull what
6th Jun 2010, 15:51
Thank you very much for that-that indeed was the first film-the second used the cherokees and B737s I think

Airclues
6th Jun 2010, 17:05
The film 'Airline Pilot' was filmed in 1967. The segments at Shannon and on the first trip were genuine. However, the shots of the training at Hamble were staged as the cadet featured in the film had already graduated. I have a VHS copy somewhere in my loft.
Sadly the cadet, who was my flatmate, died in 1971.

Dave

jxk
6th Jun 2010, 18:14
I seem to remember a similar film with a young graduate with the initials T.O staring in it. Thank goodness for moustaches and a place where apples trees and the like grow!!!

Pull what
7th Jun 2010, 09:22
Sadly the cadet, who was my flatmate, died in 1971.

Sorry to hear that, may I ask what happened to your friend. his face was such a picture after that landing at Shannon, I think the training capatin said, now just await the applause!

Pull what
9th Oct 2011, 16:16
Dont suppoose anyone has come across a copy of this film yet? Airline Pilot

Airclues
9th Oct 2011, 21:58
Pull what

As I said, I have a VHS copy in my loft. You are welcome to borrow it, if I can find it.

Dave

LAS1997
11th Oct 2011, 08:09
Pull What; correct me if I am wrong, if its the pilot I think it is; I heard a story that the chap in question died on a camping holiday, fell off a cliff. Very tragic indeed.

I have the VHS tape myself; out of interest Strike Force Entertainment have just released three DVD's. Imperial Airways, BEA and BOAC. You can order them from Sendit.com or play.com. I have the Imperial Airways and have just ordered the BOAC (1946-1974). I have also the BEA one (on loan from a friend) 1946-74. They last for 2 1/2 hours and are very interesting. So you may come across the training at SNN and Hamble on these as I noticed with the BEA DVD they have a lot of film from the Great British Airline VHS tapes released by British airways in the early 1990's.

Groundloop
11th Oct 2011, 08:59
I have the Imperial Airways and have just ordered the BOAC (1946-1974). I have also the BEA one (on loan from a friend) 1946-74. They last for 2 1/2 hours and are very interesting.

The Imperial Airways DVD is a disaster! They have taken the original films and chopped them and mixed them all up. Therefore it is very disjointed, the narration constantly changes, etc. Why did they not just keep the original films intact?

Pull what
11th Oct 2011, 14:28
That would be geat Dave-if you find it!!

Pull what
11th Oct 2011, 14:30
OK yes he did die-its in this thread earlier-how tragic.

I never forget the look on his face when he landed that VC10