PDA

View Full Version : surgery and a class 1?

funkster
8th Feb 2001, 19:06
I have a friend (no I really do!) who would like to know, if having a small surgical procedure performed will stop them from getting a class one medical.

The procedure is called Endoscopic Transthoracic Sympathicotomy and it is to stop the symptoms of Hyperhydrosis?
Is is a small procedure which involves a small incision underneath the armpit. If you need anymore info please mail me?

Any info appreciated..

[This message has been edited by funkster (edited 08 February 2001).]

FlapsOne
10th Feb 2001, 04:35
I know a current 737 capt who had a heart by-pass 6 years ago. Shouldn't be a problem.

Low_and_Slow
10th Feb 2001, 06:10
Since ETS involves cauterizing some autonomic nerves between the upper body and spinal column, and can affect such things as heart rate etc, It would be prudent for him to consult with the local aviation medical folks before surgery.

-me

funkster
13th Feb 2001, 14:11
thanks for all the replies.

Magilla - if you don't mind please could you email me the name of the consultant and contact details, since he/she sounds like they were actually concerned for your health as opposed to some cosmetic surgeons who promote the operation as the only way forward (whilst lining their pockets in the process). Did they say whether or not this type of op would risk the chances of obtaining a class 1?

cheers..

funkster
20th Feb 2001, 16:35
Anyone else know whether having ETS for hyperhydrosis would affect obtaining a class one?