PDA

View Full Version : TACA Peru Embraer 190

FlyingOW
3rd Jun 2010, 02:10
Rumour has it TACA Peru has already hired their first intake of FOs for the E190. Senior FOs that don't qualify for right-to-left upgrades on the 320 are being offered command on the E190.

I sincerely hope they plan on participating more in the domestic market with this new fleet of aircraft and finally give LPE a run for their money! Monopolies are not good for the customer or the employees, and should not be allowed to prosper.

I hope we see those aircraft in the skies over Peru soon:ok:

Best of luck to them!

OW

Panama Jack
3rd Jun 2010, 17:32
Senior FOs that don't qualify for right-to-left upgrades on the 320 are being offered command on the E190.

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean the wash-outs and rejects are being sent to the kiddie plane?

FlyingOW
3rd Jun 2010, 21:20
PJ,

Sorry, I should have been a little more specific.

After the Tegucigalpa accident TACA raised their mins for Command to include 3000 hours on type. TACA has some relatively hightime FOs who in some cases have previous command experience on TPs. As opposed to waiting out the 3K, offer them command on the E190 and put them on domestic short haul for starters.

This is a common scenario: 4000 hour FO with only 1000 on the Bus would have to wait 3 more years (they fly around 6-700 hrs per year at TACA Peru) before being eligible for command under this policy. But offering them command on the "kiddie plane" is advantageous. Overnight the company has created a pool of potential Captains from within their ranks.

Currently in Peru, there is a shortage of experienced pilots. This also holds true at TACA as it does at LAN. At LPE we have seen a huge influx of DECs from abroad, including experienced rated FOs with hours on type off the street getting command. Lucky for some......

Saludos,

OW

Panama Jack
4th Jun 2010, 15:24
Thanks for the clarification.

It will be interesting to read the Tegucigalpa A320 final accident report, when and if it gets published. Based on conversation with some colleagues from TACA, I understand that there may be some interesting human factors that had a role to play in the accident which, I doubt, raising the minimums to 3000 hours on type for Command would address.

Nothing quite like a good accident (and subsequent self-examination) for a Company.