PDA

View Full Version : Brace position?

gunamani
2nd Jun 2010, 17:01
Hi,
A regulator asks a pilot,'What is your brace position for emergency landing?' What shall be your reply?

Wizofoz
2nd Jun 2010, 17:27
Well,I guess "Hands on Control column and T/Ls, as I'll be a little busy flying the Aeroplane.....

Pugachev Cobra
2nd Jun 2010, 17:42
True, we can read the CVR transcript from USAir 1549 that 5 seconds before impact Capt. Sullenberger said "We're gonna brace".

So it does exist. I don't know the correct brace position though.

ab33t
2nd Jun 2010, 18:33
I dont see the pilots placing their heads on the yoke .

EMB170
2nd Jun 2010, 18:59
I guess on the airbus is no yoke, so it might make sense..?

FE Hoppy
2nd Jun 2010, 19:10
Harness fully fastened, tightened and shoulder straps locked. Non Flying might want to put his seat fully back and hold his head in both arms slightly bowed.

MurphyWasRight
3rd Jun 2010, 00:15
Harness fully fastened, tightened and shoulder straps locked. Non Flying might want to put his seat fully back and hold his head in both arms slightly bowed.

I thought it was "deeply bowed so as to kiss ass goodby"

mustafagander
3rd Jun 2010, 00:25
I strongly suspect that he meant to remind the F/O that a "brace" PA announcement would be required very soon.

maxpranav
3rd Jun 2010, 05:47
If this is true...finding out the correct position becomes essential....i checked the manuals couldn't find it though....!!!!

DFC
4th Jun 2010, 08:42
In general terms, the brace position for someone in a forward facing crew seat would be the same as for a passenger in a forward facing seat with either a shoulder strap or harness.

Sit upright with back pressed against seat back, head lowered and chin resting on sternum. Feet flat on ther floor with heels behind the knees.