PDA

View Full Version : Military AME Apprenticeship

Degrees
2nd Jun 2010, 11:00
I'm currently completing my theory component of an avionics qualification and will very soon be looking for an apprenticeship. One of the the potential employer's I'm considering at this time is a military contractor.

What I need to know is, if I choose to work for this company and complete my apprenticeship through them, will I be confined to working on military aircraft for the rest of my career, or be required to re-train? I've been hearing conflicting reports about CASA (the civil aviation government department in Australia) is not likely to acknowledge your experience because the aircraft are not maintained to their standards.

I'm thinking that some day I might want to work around the world. For this I would require a license or at least a civilian AME qualification. Will doing my apprenticeship with a military contractor make this difficult?

Pratt lad
3rd Jun 2010, 11:58
Mate

In all honesty it is up to you which way you decide to go. Regardless which way you you choose to go (military or civil) you will still have to pass the CASA examinations to get a license.

I guess on completion of the apprenticeship you will gain the Cert VI in aeroskills and will have a log or schedule of experience with you, and this will be recognised wherever you go, but you still need to do the CASA exams and have extensive type experience on the aircraft you want to be licensed on.

Having worked on both the Military and Civil systems, I find the Military system more at home to the lifestyle that I enjoy, eg low comercial pressure, very little weekend or shiftwork and lots of time to go fishing, but everyone is different.

The military these days have quite a few aircraft that are recognised by CASA for licensing such as the 737BBJ's the 737 Wedgetails, the Challenger 604's, the Beechcraft Kingair 350 and the upcoming Airbus A330's MRTT.

I guess if you end up on one of those platforms, I think it will be fairly easy for CASA to recognise your experience and now doubt will be able to issue you a license after completing all the basic and type exams.

My honest opinion is, if you are keen to stay in Aviation Maintenance, get a Aircraft Maintenance job or apprenticeship wherever you can, complete the Cert IV and CASA Basics and doors will open once you complete your apprenticeship.

As they say, if one door closes, another door will open.

Best of luck