PDA

View Full Version : VGA lead?

tony draper
31st May 2010, 18:55
My new posh telly has a VGA socket for the pugging in of a puter,trouble is said posh telly is about fifteen feet away from said puter,I have a couple of VGA leads and was thinking of splicing in a length of multi core so I can still sit in me pruning chair and display the output of the computer on the Telly screen,is there any specific limitation to the length of a VGA lead?,normally they are about a meter long (about a Yard in proper measurments)
Mostly for curiosities sake as I doubt the Telly will go up to the screen resolution me monitor does.
:)

green granite
31st May 2010, 19:28
There doesn't appear to be any major restrictions as to length

see: VGA Cables and Adaptors (http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=172)

tony draper
31st May 2010, 19:34
23 quid forra bloody lead? I should coco, got drums of every kind of multi core in me cellar,one shall make one up.:)
Thanks for the link Mr G.:ok:

jimtherev
31st May 2010, 21:35
I'm using 25 meters of VGA lead from computer to projector at church. Bought the cheapest as I wasn't sure that it would work at all, but quality seems indistinguishable from the case when I use same kit with a 1 metre lead. With one exception: there is a small amount of cross-talk from the 'deaf loop' circuitry which runs in the same cable path. (although the VGA cable doesn't go all round the loop, obviously.)

If it were that important, I would get one of they 40 quid shielded cables with gold plated pins at each end, and run the cable on another route... but it doesn't seem important for what we need.

spannersatcx
1st Jun 2010, 02:10
15 feet is around 5m where I am, so less than £10. I got a 3m cable the other day for £2 but you need to be in China to get one!

SoundBarrier
1st Jun 2010, 03:21
drapes if you're making you're own extension, make sure you used pairs that are twisted lest you get loss in quality. I did a good 20m of my own making which initially was barely visible, in fact the more smart monitors would give an 'invalid' or 'no signal' message.

I cannot recall the pars that are twisted though, but if you're having issues let me know and I'll look 'em up for ya!

obgraham
1st Jun 2010, 06:08
TD:

I just use a wireless mouse/keyboard doodad, plug short VGA cable from 'puter to telly, then sit across the room and fiddle with it.

Works for me. Mostly when I want to bore somebody with a slide show.

tony draper
1st Jun 2010, 11:02
One is a 7th Dan Black Belt in twisted multi pair jointing Mr B worked maintaining a balanced twisted pair HF TV cable network for many years.
Won prized for my joints I did,yer couldn't see em on a Cosser Time Domain wobble meter.
:rolleyes:
Yer as I said tiz just out of curiosity and the pottering about urge, one shall probably just carry the puter across to the telly,besides I sit about two foot away from my 22inch puter monitor so sitting where I sit to watch telly the tv screen would pobably subtend a smaller angle at my eyes anyway.

Bruce Wayne
1st Jun 2010, 13:57
so you're not making your own VGA cable then drapes ? :(

tony draper
1st Jun 2010, 14:27
Well giving he matter more thought tiz not really practical, I would sitting 12 feet away from the screen,my present arrangement is fine,the VGA socket must be for folks who have they mobile puters they holds on their laps.

ab33t
1st Jun 2010, 19:17
ah no its for dem foks that use the puter for dem flicks and dings

Keef
1st Jun 2010, 21:32
Need to be careful the new telly doesn't migrate to the pruning corner.

Pal of mine (Hans, the Swedish Chef) bought a posh flatscreen portable TV with all the bells and whistles, then decided he'd try out the VGA socket on it. That produced a far better pic than his trusty but old CRT monitor, so CRT went to boot sale and portable TV went to pooter.

Then Mrs Hans enquired after the whereabouts of "her" nice new portable TV.

jimtherev
1st Jun 2010, 21:50
Oddly enough, 'er indoors has just purchased a new flatscreen for the (seldom used) sitting room...

tony draper
1st Jun 2010, 22:09
Actually it were the purchase awhile back of this new 22inch wide screen LCD computer monitor that made up my mind to buy me new posh telly,I was watching iplayer progs in HD on my puter and they made my existing telly picks look like poo.
So beware if you buy a new puter rmonitor, it might mean you have to stick yer hand in your pocket again and ugrade your telly as well.